Question I don't know what to upgrade first, cpu or gpu?

jeun123123123

Prominent
Jan 19, 2022
im having a problem i dont know what to upgrade first cpu or gpu and what do i look a.
im having a budget of 500-600euros.
I have:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz
AMD Radeon r9 200 series
16bg ram
B50M DS3H V2

TY FOR HELPING

Before anything...

What is the make/model of your power supply?
That is critical to knowing what graphics card upgrades it can support.
Here is a handy chart for that:

Both your cpu and your gpu are weak.
If your use is for gaming, the more effective upgrade might be either cpu or gpu.
Games such as sims,mmo and strategy games tend to be cpu limited,
fast action games and higher resolution games need a strong graphics card.

To get an idea which, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

^ i think the RX6600 is less power hungry than say a R9 280 class gpu. If it works fine, it should be good.

But if the PSU is old, might as well get a new one with this upgrade.

The RX7600 is expected to be launching in a month or so, for around 300 euros. the 5600 and the RX7600 might be a good combo.

The Corsair RMe 750 would be within 100 euros and is a solid PSU.

Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your answer will be as to what is lacking. The cpu is responsible for providing fps, the gpu is responsible for eye-candy. If you have to turn down the eye-candy to get decent fps, then get a gpu first. If it doesn't really matter what the setting is and you get lousy fps, then cpu first.

To take advantage of a new and more powerful cpu requires faster ram. Think of it like buying a fast sports car and putting grandma's old and skinny tires on it, when it really needs a good set to get the performance you just paid for.

The cpu will work with your existing ram, just won't be as good. A new gpu will likely work with the psu, but after 5 years it's time to start thinking of replacement before it fails, kinda like replacing tires with little tread left on them. They'll work for a while, but things can get dicey in the wrong situations.

Reactions: jeun123123123