[SOLVED] I don't know what to upgrade my computer with

ericwarmerdam

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I did a relatively cheap build in 2018, the components are as follows:

-rx 460 4gb
-intel i3-6100
-mobo: asrock h110m (this guy https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01AVPBOFI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
-8 gb of ram
-430w power supply

Over the years it's started to slow down, and I know the cpu especially is having a hard time. When I'm playing Minecraft (which is really the only game I play) it quite literally gets very high (around 70-90% usage)

I'd really like to upgrade it, I was thinking/hoping for an rx580 for a graphics card replacement and potentially an i5-9400 for a cpu replacement, although I really am not certain about the cpu replacement. I'm weary of the replacements though, and I've held off on doing so for a long time because I'm not sure my motherboard supports it? I was wondering if you guys could let me know what the best replacements would be for this motherboard or even if what I have in mind would work. My budget is relatively low, I am only looking to spend about 500CAD or so on upgrades, but I also don't want to have to replace my motherboard because it seems like a pain in the arse.

Sorry for the bit of rambling, but recommendations for replacements would be absolutely appreciated. Like I said before, I only really play Minecraft and do recordings of it occasionally, however I'd still like to get great performance for it.

Thanks!!

edit: sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way, I couldn't find where else this question would apply so I just put it here

Solution
If you look at the top end of the list for those systems there you will see what's needed to reach the 100% level with that MB.
The 1x8GB RAM is killing you. Get another one just like it.
The 53% CPU score isn't even high end LGA775 territory. My Optiplex 380 scores 59%. You can see which CPUs score well. On a budget generally go for high single thread scores. Sometimes a mid range unlocked CPU with an overclock can be very cost effective. You can pull up individual systems there to look for that. 4C/8T would be nice. You will probably need an upgraded CPU cooler also. If you can get above 80% that would be a good target.
Then you will have a good basis to go shopping for a GPU/Monitor combo. if you can swing an 8GB GPU you will be...
You don't need to replace your MB. Lot's of very potent systems built on that here.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asrock-H110M-DGS/23689
First thing I see is to run more than a 4GB GPU you will need more RAM. I would just go to 16GB. But 12GB is an option for a 6GB GPU if it has 4 RAM slots.
You can run your system at Userbench mark,com and see what parts are holding you back.
You will probably want a faster i5 CPU.
Then use the GPU hierarchy chart to shop for the best GPU you can afford.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Asrock-H110M-DGS/23689
You will probably end up with something like a GTX1070. But if your budget and shopping skills can get more than that good for you.
There are some cost effective RX5600XT and RX5700XT GPUs coming on the market. maybe you can afford one, or maybe they will drive down the price on some other cards.
One question is how big is your monitor? if you jsut need 1080P there's no point in spending a fortune on a GPU that does 4K UHD. In other words do you need a bigger monitor also?

Last edited:

ericwarmerdam

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
One question is how big is your monitor? if you jsut need 1080P there's no point in spending a fortune on a GPU that does 4K UHD. In other words do you need a bigger monitor also?

First off, thanks for the response!! I'm running two monitors, both 1080p, 27 and 21 inches respectively. So no, I guess I wouldn't need 4k. Also, since I have an AMD graphics card, wouldn't that mean I can't use an nvidia card without changing the motherboard? Could definitely be wrong though but if you could clear that up it would be great. I was just under the impression that I had to stay with an AMD graphics card. Thanks again!!

ericwarmerdam

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Also, these were my test results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 25%, Desk 54%, Work 31%
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 - 53.1%
GPU: AMD RX 460 - 22.4%
SSD: Adata Premier SP550 240GB - 55.5%
HDD: WD Blue 500GB (2008) - 54.1%
RAM: G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 2133 C15 1x8GB - 30.7%
MBD: Asrock H110M-ITX/ac

If you look at the top end of the list for those systems there you will see what's needed to reach the 100% level with that MB.
The 1x8GB RAM is killing you. Get another one just like it.
The 53% CPU score isn't even high end LGA775 territory. My Optiplex 380 scores 59%. You can see which CPUs score well. On a budget generally go for high single thread scores. Sometimes a mid range unlocked CPU with an overclock can be very cost effective. You can pull up individual systems there to look for that. 4C/8T would be nice. You will probably need an upgraded CPU cooler also. If you can get above 80% that would be a good target.
Then you will have a good basis to go shopping for a GPU/Monitor combo. if you can swing an 8GB GPU you will be good to run just about anything. But 6GB GPUs are the sweet spot for value, and perform well at 1080P.
You can see all kinds of Nvidia cards running on that MB at userbenchmark. Not a problem. Just be sure to remove the old GPU drivers in Safe Mode. Then install the new card.
You should be able to get into the GTX1060,1660,2060 level with your budget. There is a big jump in price above that level , and you would need a monitor also to use it. Probably not for you.
When you know how much money you have left for a GPU, use the GPU hierarchy chart to see which ones perform best at that price point.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Last edited:
Solution
I agree with william p that the memory is just killing you - everything the processor does is a memory access (if it isn't in cache), and a little bit of slow over and over eventually adds up to a lot of slow.

And you have some pretty slow memory - 14 ns latency, and you only have one stick (single-channel).

The motherboard doesn't seem to support anything above 2400 MHz, but you can certainly replace it with low latency memory - 2133MHZ CL 9 or 10, or 2400 MHz CL 10 or 11 would get you into 8 or 9 ns latency ram.

2 identical sticks (hopefully from a single kit) for dual channel memory access.