[SOLVED] I dont know whats with dark areas being so blocky on vides. Anything I can do?

Solution
Turn off Virtual Super Resolution. That is rendering the image at a higher resolution and then downscaling it to fit the monitor. That will definitely cause artifacting. That is for increasing the image quality of older game titles, primarily, that don't have more modern AA and other features.

mitchmatch24

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Still definitely compression issues.

Are you running full Chroma sub-sampling or have you compromised to get a high refresh rate? (Does the same problem occur at lower resolutions?)
I dropped it to 1280x1024 still there but less noticeable, and sorry don't know what chroma subsampling is but I have set the refresh rate to 144hz

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Look up Chroma Sub-Sampling. It is a way for the GPU to compress the video before sending it to a monitor that can't handle the bandwidth.

Check your display modes. 4:4:4 is normal, many monitors compromise at 4:4:2 to reach high refresh rate.

I assume this is it, not an exact match to your info there:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g5-lc27g55t

Monitor doesn't seem to have local dimming at all. So that is purely the monitor showing the color of what it is being sent. So back to compression.

Now they claim HDR 10, but it is disabled on your screenshot. High Dynamic Range may also be contributing to this, make sure it is off in Windows as well for testing. Probably not something you necessarily want on in games. HDR is another bandwidth consuming feature that may be forcing compression.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Turn off Virtual Super Resolution. That is rendering the image at a higher resolution and then downscaling it to fit the monitor. That will definitely cause artifacting. That is for increasing the image quality of older game titles, primarily, that don't have more modern AA and other features.

Solution