Question i dont know wich motherboard is better

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.26 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1036.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 09:27 EDT-0400

Yeah, the X470 gaming plus is the worst of this bunch.

SLI - nobody really does this anymore, and even AMD Nvidia are disabling this feature on some of their GPUs.

"X470 has better VRM" - the chipset doesn't determine the VRM that the manufacturer decides to use. That's all based on the price tag of the board and BoM.

Not to throw another hat in the ring but - Gigabyte Aorus B450 = $75

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have the ROG Strix B450-F Gaming and I like it a lot.
I have OC'd my Ryzen 5 2600 up to 4.075 GHz without any trouble but I chose to keep it at 3.95 GHz for everyday use.
My PCh maxes out around 45C under heavy load for hours and my VRM rarely gets above 35C (I have a thermal sensor between the I/O Shield and the heatsink to monitor the VRM temp).
My other top choices would be the MSI B450 Tomahawk or the MSI Carbon Pro AC, they both reviewed very well.
If I hadn't gotten my MB on sale for $90, I could easily have choosen one of the MSI boards.

I would NOT get the Gigabyte Aorus B450M if you want to overclock, according to this the VRM Is not very good for OCing:
Gigabyte changing Aorus AM4 motherboard marketing after misleading customers
https://www.pcgamesn.com/gigabyte-aorus-b450-8-3-phase-vrm
The top-end X470 boards, which were the first to launch for AMD’s Ryzen 2 CPUs, supposedly feature at least the components required for 8+3 phase function. However, the B450 motherboards are actually lacking the necessary components required for eight phases, and are realistically four phase VRMs with a second inductor roped in for a little extra.

Your motherboard’s VRM is responsible for feeding your chosen CPU with the stepped down voltage it requires to function without frying directly on 12V, and is built up of a few key electrical components. The ones you’ll need to be familiar with today, however, are high-side MOSFETs, low-side MOSFETs, and inductors (or chokes).

Last edited:
"Phase doublers" - technically misleading, but still better than a 4+3. First pioneered on consumer boards by AsRock (correct me if I'm wrong), have now become pretty common. The only holdout appears to be Asus. It's fairly easy to spot these if you simply compare with other mobos in a price range (don't compare a $50 board to a $250 one). If a board(s) happen to have twice as many chokes as their competition, they're likely doubled phases.

To reiterate, (ignoring that different chipsets tend to place boards into general pricing categories) the chipset has nothing to do with the VRM choice.

That's as far into it as I care to get in this thread.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
This is helpful for VRM info:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MvYeCLI5ZbIpnq5fyiWD4NCkkU/edit#gid=229691480

The VRM is mostly irrelevant if not overclocking or using PBO, and less important on less than 8 cores.

Other big factors are customer service (in case you have an issue and need to RMA) bios features/usability, and option slots and I/O.

If you can find an Asus crosshair vi hero (for similar money to the boards in your original post) I highly recommend it. It's essentially an x470 board once you update the bios, is loaded with features, and has a killer VRM. I also personally prefer the ASUS UEFI over other companies and I have used them all.