[SOLVED] I dont think I am supposed to have those stupid low fps...

justoskate

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Hi everyone,
I tought I had a minimum of knowledge in pc, now is the time to surrender and admit that I am just mediocre.

For the context:
I had an average built (sabertooth z77 + i7-3770 + GTX1080...) since a looooong time, until few days ago when I ask this guy to be built:
-Asus TUF Gaming B560-M-PLUS
-i5-11500 cooled by a Corsair H100x
-TUF Gaming RTX-3080Ti OC
-Corsair vengeance rgb pro sl 2x10Gb @3200MHz
-All that powered by a Corsair RM850
all packed into something that can breath a bit, a Be Quiet pure base 500DX.
Because I had windows on an old kingston SSD 500Gb (with few games) +2 other SSD 860 qvo for installing all the rest of steam games and crap to store,
I decided to keep the 2 QVO but bought a NVMe as a corsair MP600 500Gb that will be the boot guy.

All viewed on a 27LG850, 144hz, 1440p, g-sync

First small moment of wt* is going on:
Got the package, put the nvme on his spot. Then power and connect the 3 SSDs from my previous computer. No boot found.

But first relief:
Took my an hour to dig into all those stuff online I dont understand at all (legacy, uefi...) to know why the bios was telling me he cant see the boot, and then finally it worked because i clicked here and there.
Then I cloned good old Kingston (boot) on the new nvme m.2. with aomei partition. Switch off. Took out the old Kingston.
And bim bam boom it starts on the nvme now.

Second bigger moment of wt* is going on:
Went to userbenchmark, launch a test,
CPU 100% and 45th percentile. Ok I can live with that...
RAM benches 110%, 91st percentile (remember to put XMP in bios), thats better..
2 old QVOs at 62% 5th and 15th percentile, I got it there are not new but cmon..
MP600 benches 112%.... but 0th percentile ! (gaussian show bench up to 380%) what ? like 0th percentile! are you serious, I got the worst MP600 on the planet ?
RTX 3080 Ti bench 180%... with 3rd percentile !! (normal seems ~225%)
Total PC status : 25th percentile (on 100pcs with same components, I am the bottom quarter. Thats.. nice)

The cherry on the wt* cake:
just last hour, launched a test on GTA5 on 1440p with 1440p but with a bit more here and there of grafic set up pushed (you know, cause its not anymore a dead a** GTX-1080)
it seems initally as nice as before (dont like that..) but also framerates dive a lot when there is action(!!?) Ask steam to display fps, and wow.... max is 50 fps, with average of 35-40fps !!! What is going on ??!
Also just talking to you, task manager is politely telling me my CPU is at 60% (btw, who is this NVRLA with 15% of share ?), when I got just few chrome tabs, steam and iCUE open !?? Does it mean a i5-11500 is actually a terrible CPU ? Cause GPU seems still asleep at 20% of use.
Launched a hitman 2 with all full, it finally woke up the GPU this time, I finally feel the 50-60celcius of the 3080-Ti by the exhausts fan... 30-40 fps... thats just great..

I want to shoot myself,
I hate myself for buying a new set.
Any advice, software, hardware, approach, pointing a terrible choice I made in the selection, is more than welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance

Franco

Solution
Are you both seriously suggesting that just a reinstall can change things ? I mean I know the cloning stuff was not the "nice and proper way" of doing it,
but like really that stuff can screw you ?
Perform clean install properly. Download latest windows install iso from MS and create bootable windows install media.
Have only single drive connected, while you install windows.
After that install all drivers from motherboard support page.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Cloning is appropriate, if you just want to migrate from one storage device to another.
You have changed whole computer. Only proper way is clean install.
Drivers/settings from your old system are...
Hi everyone,
I tought I had a minimum of knowledge in pc, now is the time to surrender and admit that I am just mediocre.

For the context:
I had an average built (sabertooth z77 + i7-3770 + GTX1080...) since a looooong time, until few days ago when I ask this guy to be built:
-Asus TUF Gaming B560-M-PLUS
-i5-11500 cooled by a Corsair H100x
-TUF Gaming RTX-3080Ti OC
-Corsair vengeance rgb pro sl 2x10Gb @3200MHz
-All that powered by a Corsair RM850
all packed into something that can breath a bit, a Be Quiet pure base 500DX.
Because I had windows on an old kingston SSD 500Gb (with few games) +2 other SSD 860 qvo for installing all the rest of steam games and crap to store,
I decided to keep the 2 QVO but bought a NVMe as a corsair MP600 500Gb that will be the boot guy.

All viewed on a 27LG850, 144hz, 1440p, g-sync

First small moment of wt* is going on:
Got the package, put the nvme on his spot. Then power and connect the 3 SSDs from my previous computer. No boot found.

But first relief:
Took my an hour to dig into all those stuff online I dont understand at all (legacy, uefi...) to know why the bios was telling me he cant see the boot, and then finally it worked because i clicked here and there.
Then I cloned good old Kingston (boot) on the new nvme m.2. with aomei partition. Switch off. Took out the old Kingston.
And bim bam boom it starts on the nvme now.

Second bigger moment of wt* is going on:
Went to userbenchmark, launch a test,
CPU 100% and 45th percentile. Ok I can live with that...
RAM benches 110%, 91st percentile (remember to put XMP in bios), thats better..
2 old QVOs at 62% 5th and 15th percentile, I got it there are not new but cmon..
MP600 benches 112%.... but 0th percentile ! (gaussian show bench up to 380%) what ? like 0th percentile! are you serious, I got the worst MP600 on the planet ?
RTX 3080 Ti bench 180%... with 3rd percentile !! (normal seems ~225%)
Total PC status : 25th percentile (on 100pcs with same components, I am the bottom quarter. Thats.. nice)

The cherry on the wt* cake:
just last hour, launched a test on GTA5 on 1440p with 1440p but with a bit more here and there of grafic set up pushed (you know, cause its not anymore a dead a** GTX-1080)
it seems initally as nice as before (dont like that..) but also framerates dive a lot when there is action(!!?) Ask steam to display fps, and wow.... max is 50 fps, with average of 35-40fps !!! What is going on ??!
Also just talking to you, task manager is politely telling me my CPU is at 60% (btw, who is this NVRLA with 15% of share ?), when I got just few chrome tabs, steam and iCUE open !?? Does it mean a i5-11500 is actually a terrible CPU ? Cause GPU seems still asleep at 20% of use.
Launched a hitman 2 with all full, it finally woke up the GPU this time, I finally feel the 50-60celcius of the 3080-Ti by the exhausts fan... 30-40 fps... thats just great..

I want to shoot myself,
I hate myself for buying a new set.
Any advice, software, hardware, approach, pointing a terrible choice I made in the selection, is more than welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance

Franco
I think the first thing you want to do is install windows the proper way with only the nvme connected.

Then you get the proper bios and drivers and updates to finish the install.

Then you connect the other disk and see what you need to reinstall or move or whatever to get things coupled to the new OS.

justoskate

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
fresh os install after the build?
don't look at percentile, compare the %

no fresh install, I cloned my old boot ssd on the new nvme.
I guess in the case of the nvme the % is fine, more than 100%, but like 0 perc, there is something fishy no ?
same for the GPU, the % is ok I guess but its like the 3080 classic. But 3perc really ? So I pretty much sit on the "Ti" part and the "OC" too...

I think the first thing you want to do is install windows the proper way with only the nvme connected.

Then you get the proper bios and drivers and updates to finish the install.

Then you connect the other disk and see what you need to reinstall or move or whatever to get things coupled to the new OS.

Ok, I will try to retrieve my old dvd box of windows with the key (might even be a windows 7 actually)
And I will try to reinstall it (although now the new tower is without a dvd driver, I will borrow a usb dvd driver from work I guess)

Are you both seriously suggesting that just a reinstall can change things ? I mean I know the cloning stuff was not the "nice and proper way" of doing it,

Perform clean install properly. Download latest windows install iso from MS and create bootable windows install media.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Cloning is appropriate, if you just want to migrate from one storage device to another.
Drivers/settings from your old system are interfering with your new system.

Solution
A fresh new install with all of the correct drivers and a clean registry will make things fly.

Make sure ALL other drives/SSDs are disconnected when installing new. otherwise the boot menu could end up on any one of them.
Make sure it is a fresh new install. NOT a refresh or repair install.
Delete the partitions on the NVME drive during install. Windows will then create the partitions it needs and install new.

justoskate

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Thanks for the swift anwsers.

Drivers/settings from your old system are interfering with your new system.

Great thx for the link. I am following the text right now. Took one useless 8 gb usb key I was given one day and I am right now doing what it says and its almost done putting windows on it.

A fresh new install with all of the correct drivers and a clean registry will make things fly.

Make sure ALL other drives/SSDs are disconnected when installing new. otherwise the boot menu could end up on any one of them.
Make sure it is a fresh new install. NOT a refresh or repair install.
Delete the partitions on the NVME drive during install. Windows will then create the partitions it needs and install new.

Ok I will disconnect the two others QVO were I stored stuff and installed some steam games, and just keep the nvme.
Make thinks fly is actually what I was expecting in deed.
Do I need special provisions to take out my windows license and take back my key or I just dont care and go for the reinstall now ?

new system. make sure it latest bios.
fresh install windows. then get the latest driver.

Will do. Although I think I know where to pick latest driver of geforce and the rest, not sure where I find the "latest bios" of the MB. is it like in the bios I do that ? or like with software like armour crate for asus ?

justoskate

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Thanks people.
Just finished the reinstall of windows. And I think I got the end of the drivers list to be installed.

I then just launched another userbanchmark to compare from this morning, and you guys may definitely sniffed the issue:
CPU gained 100 to 110%, GPU 180 to 230% ! and the nvme took from 110 to 389%
I do not know really what physicaly it implies, but that sounds already good to see..
I persist to say, I am blown up by how just a simple reinstall can change. not gonna lie. I dont understand.

Although to really certify the change, I still need to reinstall a game on steam and test the FPS,
But its now 2.40am here and at 8am I'll have a 3 and 6 years old storming my bed with HE and flashbangs so I will answer you all tomorrow.

Reactions: rgd1101

justoskate

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
Just made a try, and huge jump on fps.
Crazy that a simple reinstall of windows solved it. Really thought that no matter how many drivers you can have, hardware would pick what it needs.
thanks everyone

Just made a try, and huge jump on fps.
Crazy that a simple reinstall of windows solved it. Really thought that no matter how many drivers you can have, hardware would pick what it needs.
thanks everyone

And it will just pick up what it needs.

The issue is remnants of drivers from old hardware and chipsets can play absolute havoc with performance.

Some peoplee will say they've done what you did and their performance is fine, the issue there is they have no reference point to what is actually fine so are probably losing performance themselves.

Reactions: justoskate