[SOLVED] I don't think my RTX 2060 is performing at its full potential.

Dec 18, 2021
I have a HP Omen DC-1025 cl.
I7-9750H
GEFORCE RTX 2060
RAM : 12gb
60hz Monitor.
My laptop struggles to give me consistent 60fps in games like destiny 2. It used to have heating issues so I run it on base clock using throttlestop and by disabling turbo boost. I use a cooling pad to cool my laptop as well.
I just can't have a good time playing games since it causes fps drops all the time. The fps is 60 at environments with not much detailing but at other environments it drops to 40-45 fps. What can be the issue behind this?
Is it my other laptop hardware? or is it something to do with my RTX 2060?
I also run all my settings on the lowest possible but still get fps drops.
If you need more info as to the heating problem let me know, I will explain it in detail.
Please tell whatever can work towards a solution.

Solution
The base speed of the 9750h is really low, it’s 2.60Ghz. It will struggle in many games if you turn off turbo. Try setting a max turbo of 3.6 or 3.8GHz.

I have a Dell G5 with the same cpu & gpu. I have undervolted the cpu by 0.154v and capped my turbo but cannot remember the exact limit, can check later. I also added extra rubber feet to lift the laptop higher off the table and that helped a few degrees. Doing all this keeps the temperature under 90c usually 80-85c in games, it used to hit 100c in seconds.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Heat is most prominent with laptops with performance parts, cooling is quite inadequate. Try use stick on foam strips to insulate bottom edges between pad and laptop so all generated air from cooling pad is forced through the laptop instead of some escaping out the sides.

Reactions: Homelander
The base speed of the 9750h is really low, it’s 2.60Ghz. It will struggle in many games if you turn off turbo. Try setting a max turbo of 3.6 or 3.8GHz.

I have a Dell G5 with the same cpu & gpu. I have undervolted the cpu by 0.154v and capped my turbo but cannot remember the exact limit, can check later. I also added extra rubber feet to lift the laptop higher off the table and that helped a few degrees. Doing all this keeps the temperature under 90c usually 80-85c in games, it used to hit 100c in seconds.

Reactions: Homelander
Solution
Dec 18, 2021

can u give me more details on the FIVR part of the undervolting so that i can try to use it for my lap.
I can't find the exact voltage for my lap sadly. I know the process but i just can't find the voltage .

can u give me more details on the FIVR part of the undervolting so that i can try to use it for my lap.
I can't find the exact voltage for my lap sadly. I know the process but i just can't find the voltage .
It is trial and error. Apply an undervolt and use HWMonitor to check the undervolt has actually been applied. Then stress test/benchmark the system. If the system looses performance or becomes unstable you have gone too far. With a 9750h I’d expect you can start at -0.120, just do a benchmark before and after to see if you lost any performance. Once happy at 0.120 keep increasing the undervolt by approximately 0.010v at a time.