[SOLVED] I don't understand something about raid 0

Nov 10, 2020
Hello,
I want to use raid 0 because of the performance boost and I am aware that if one drive loses data than all other drives also lose data, But in my case, I don't mind this disadvantage because I only have games and software with cloud saves and don't use my pc for anything special. One thing I don't understand is; what happens when one of the drives dies completely, not in terms of data loss but in terms of the components themselves inside the drive, does it harm/damage the other drives mechanically? If not, this configuration would be perfect for me because I don't care about losing my data and I also know how to format my pc if something goes wrong.

I am currently running raid zero through the windows 10 disk management tool with 3 similar Kingston A400 240gb SSD and my main drive (Samsung Evo 128gb) as a basic drive.
View: https://imgur.com/eYaOYeK

I couldn't find the raid 0 setting in my bios so that's why I do it from windows.

Solution
what happens when one of the drives dies completely, not in terms of data loss but in terms of the components themselves inside the drive, does it harm/damage the other drives mechanically?
If one drive dies, it doesn't harm other drives.
Unless death of the drive was caused by PSU issue. Failing PSU can kill all components connected.

SSD can fail by exhausting write cycles, firmware issue, probably by overheating too and of course, if failing PSU kills it.
what happens when one of the drives dies completely, not in terms of data loss but in terms of the components themselves inside the drive, does it harm/damage the other drives mechanically?
Unless death of the drive was caused by PSU issue. Failing PSU can kill all components connected.

SSD can fail by exhausting write cycles, firmware issue, probably by overheating too and of course, if failing PSU kills it.

Reactions: klayworld
Solution
Nov 10, 2020

Oh that's good news, Just yesterday I installed a new PSU, It's a Corsair CV450 bronze plus so I'm less worried

Nov 10, 2020
Further, RAID 0 with SSD provides much less user facing benefit than you think.
The benchmark numbers may look good, but actual operation, not so much.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html
You are actually right lol, I don't notice any difference in games. Maybe a bit when transferring files but nothing more. But the fact that I don't need to handle 3 separate drives is great. Maybe I should just use raid1 so I have 1 drive instead of 3 without the risk.

USAFRet

Titan
You are actually right lol, I don't notice any difference in games. Maybe a bit when transferring files but nothing more. But the fact that I don't need to handle 3 separate drives is great. Maybe I should just use raid1 so I have 1 drive instead of 3 without the risk.
RAID 1 with those drives gives you a total of 250GB space.

Windows applications, and Steam and other platforms have gotten really good with managing multiple drives and partitions.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties