[SOLVED] I don't understand the difference between the different GeForce RTX 2080 Super GPUs

Aug 30, 2019
So I'm building a new computer and I have decided to buy an RTX 2080 Super.
When I looked up where to buy it, I noticed there were a bunch of different looking ones with the same name and different prices, like EVGA RTX, ASUS RTX, MSI RTX, GIGABYTE RTX and then the standard GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER from the Nvidia webpage.
This confused me since when researching what GPU to buy they only talked about it as 1 product not as "oh the RTX 2080 Super and you should get the ASUS one" etc.
So all of them are RTX 2080 SUPER but what are the differences and which one should i buy? Should I just go for the one the looks like the standard one I have seen from the Nvidia webpage or are there better options?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
They are all different prices for a few reasons:

1. Cooling solution - Some are double fans, some triple. Generally the more fans the cooler the cards will run, the boost clocks will be sustained for longer periods.
2 RGB effects - Some people like RGB colours going crazy inside their case.
3. Clockspeed/Boost clocks - This will differ for nearly every card. Some cards will have higher base clockspeeds, with higher boosts speeds than others. Technically there will be more performance, but the difference actually only translates to a few FPS difference most of the time.

Getting a Super with a min of two fans is a good starting point. Then decide if you want a standard version or factory OC'ed version, and if you want RGB factor that in...
When I looked up where to buy it, I noticed there were a bunch of different looking ones with the same name and different prices, like EVGA RTX, ASUS RTX, MSI RTX, GIGABYTE RTX and then the standard GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER from the Nvidia webpage.
This confused me since when researching what GPU to buy they only talked about it as 1 product not as "oh the RTX 2080 Super and you should get the ASUS one" etc.
So all of them are RTX 2080 SUPER but what are the differences and which one should i buy? Should I just go for the one the looks like the standard one I have seen from the Nvidia webpage or are there better options?

So they are all based on the same chip, the difference between the different versions are fairly small.

Mainly the non standard models offer better cooling, and some may offer modified power delivery (meaning you could possibly over clock them further than the stock version).

If you are just planning on running stock settings then they should all perform about the same so I'd get whichever is cheapest (probably nVidia version). If you want to push the cards faster you might get more headroom and get cooler temps with a custom model.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
They are all different prices for a few reasons:

1. Cooling solution - Some are double fans, some triple. Generally the more fans the cooler the cards will run, the boost clocks will be sustained for longer periods.
2 RGB effects - Some people like RGB colours going crazy inside their case.
3. Clockspeed/Boost clocks - This will differ for nearly every card. Some cards will have higher base clockspeeds, with higher boosts speeds than others. Technically there will be more performance, but the difference actually only translates to a few FPS difference most of the time.

Getting a Super with a min of two fans is a good starting point. Then decide if you want a standard version or factory OC'ed version, and if you want RGB factor that in too.

I'd be looking at a decent brand. Asus, EVGA MSI. Other brands are popular too, Gigabyte, Pailt, Zotac, PNY etc. Some brands will be available in US, others only in Europe.

If you have a budget, and can link where you would buy from, we can recommend a good version.

Solution

Fran2005

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017

The difference is that each manufacturer sells them with slightly different things like clockspeeds, cooling, and overclocking capability. If you're on a budget I'd recommend buying the best one that will fit in the budget. You can check specific benchmarks, but an RTX 2080 is an RTX 2080 and most of them will give you similar performance. The only thing which you have to pay a lot of attention is overclocking, but only in case you're going to be doing that.