[SOLVED] I don't understand why sharing the Internet slows it down

minun

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
There is two of us, my roommate and I, we have the 300u, so 300Mbps Down, 20 Up
The signal is strong, he is connected by ethernet cable
We both game, personally I do not even need 300 down, my computer realistically only need like a stable 15 down for what I do
Yet, when we are both on the internet, we can see lag in our gaming or when one of us downloads the other one can see the drop in speed
If you split it 150 down each for the both of us, no way would we be able to use that full 150 individually, so I don't understand how internet sharing works

Solution
It doesn't divide it evenly it is more both machine compete to see who can grab the most. The deciding factor is actually at the ISP for download and pretty much it is random.

In general it is only download that will cause this on a large connection. Downloading patches or games unless you set limits on the pc will attempt to use all the bandwidth. The assumption is getting it as fast as possible is always a good thing. So even if you game is only using say 1mbs the download will still attempt to take the full 300 and even will actually attempt to get more.....since it doesn't really know what the limit is. So lets say it is attempting 310mbps added to your game you get 311. The ISP will drop 11mbps and some of your...
It doesn't divide it evenly it is more both machine compete to see who can grab the most. The deciding factor is actually at the ISP for download and pretty much it is random.

In general it is only download that will cause this on a large connection. Downloading patches or games unless you set limits on the pc will attempt to use all the bandwidth. The assumption is getting it as fast as possible is always a good thing. So even if you game is only using say 1mbs the download will still attempt to take the full 300 and even will actually attempt to get more.....since it doesn't really know what the limit is. So lets say it is attempting 310mbps added to your game you get 311. The ISP will drop 11mbps and some of your game traffic maybe some of that 11.

Almost all file downloads have a way to limit the traffic. Set it to say 250 and then just be careful that you both don't download at the same time.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
There is two of us, my roommate and I, we have the 300u, so 300Mbps Down, 20 Up
The signal is strong, he is connected by ethernet cable
We both game, personally I do not even need 300 down, my computer realistically only need like a stable 15 down for what I do
Yet, when we are both on the internet, we can see lag in our gaming or when one of us downloads the other one can see the drop in speed
If you split it 150 down each for the both of us, no way would we be able to use that full 150 individually, so I don't understand how internet sharing works
Since you stressed that "he is connected by ethernet cable" and "the signal is strong", it sounds like you are WIFI connected. Your performance is impacted by other nearby WIFI. If you live in a crowded WIFI area, it may have nothing to do with your roommate. You need to temporarily connect via a cable also to eliminate WIFI as the cause.