I don't understand!!

BF4In1080P

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
So, I just got some new internet and it's really fast on searching and stuff but when I try to watch a video it buffers all the time, but it only does this with youtube videos, live streams run fine. Why do youtube videos buffer??
-Thanks

Solution
So by 'new internet' you mean a new provider/isp? Youtube encounters slowdowns due to negotiated delivery speeds between ISPs and other companies along the backbone - your new ISP may not be paying to give youtube top priority - kind of like Netflix throttling. I sometimes get pitiful youtube speeds on Verizon Fios even on an 85 megabit line.

If you had the decency to properly explain 'new internet' as I asked I might have been able to tell you more.

BF4In1080P

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014

720 or 1080 but with my old internet (which was worse) It didn't buffer, so I don't understand why an even better wireless signal buffers?

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Maybe see if there's a firmware update for your router. I had a similar problem a few years ago, after switching from ADSL2+ to fibre, which required a separate modem. I used the same router, but it didn't like Youtube videos through the new connection until I updated the firmware.

BF4In1080P

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014

How would i do that?

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Go to the router manufacturer's website, look for a support/downloads section, find your model of router and download the latest firmware. There may be instructions on how to upgrade it on the website, but generally you log in to the config page on your router, find the firmware update section, upload the firmware file and follow any additional instructions (usually involves a reboot of the router).
Or you could post the model of the router here and I'll find the link for the firmware for you.

smog0

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Some ISP (aka the company that gives your internet) limit -throttle- the bandwidth for sites like youtube and netflix because they 'consume' too much bandwidth

So by 'new internet' you mean a new provider/isp? Youtube encounters slowdowns due to negotiated delivery speeds between ISPs and other companies along the backbone - your new ISP may not be paying to give youtube top priority - kind of like Netflix throttling. I sometimes get pitiful youtube speeds on Verizon Fios even on an 85 megabit line.

If you had the decency to properly explain 'new internet' as I asked I might have been able to tell you more.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS