I doubt what graphics card I should take with an old E6400 cpu.

Aug 27, 2018
Hey guys.

I doubt which graphics card I should use to play games up to the year 2012/2013. I know I have old specs, but I would like to play older games at a playable 30 fps 720/1080p medium settings at least.

My specs for now are:

Cpu: Intel core 2 duo E6400 @2.13 ghz
Graphics card: Nvidia geforce 210.
Psu: fsp group inc max. 300 watts.

I can't spend more then 100 euros (yes I live in Holland) at the moment.

I would like to know your thoughts about the upgrade.

Regards, Bonno Punt.

Solution

Yes almost any video card for games will be held back by your CPU. You may be able to upgrade to a quad core Core 2 Quad CPU though, check on what your motherboard can handle. You should be able to pick up a used GT 740 and a Core 2 Quad for 100, probably less. Neither of those is worth more than 20-30.
It's hard to suggest things since I don't know what your choices are. Also, your power supply limits you to cards that do not require a 6 pin connector.

Probably an AMD HD 7750, or any cards related to it(like the R7 250), or GT 640 or GT 740. Make sure you're only buying DDR5 cards and not DDR3, even if it has less memory and a smaller memory bus(like 64 bit instead of 128 bit).

Yes almost any video card for games will be held back by your CPU. You may be able to upgrade to a quad core Core 2 Quad CPU though, check on what your motherboard can handle. You should be able to pick up a used GT 740 and a Core 2 Quad for 100, probably less. Neither of those is worth more than 20-30.

Solution