I drop fps after 5 min of gameplay!! I seriously need your help!

Omarvin Gaming

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Hi guys
I'm having a very annoying problem. I'm using Windows 8.1, and I decided to go to Windows Update and update my Windows. While downloading the updates (not install), the electricity turned off a couple of times in the middle of downloading. That's not case. I finished the update after turning it on, and everything seemed fine. Ever since, any game I play (like GTA V, Battlefield 4...) I start off with my standard fps (around 70 for GTA V), 5 min later, the frame drops to 40. This happens for most of the games I play. Any suggestions on what to do? I would appreciate your help. :)

P.S. I updated my GPU driver to the lastest version during that time.

My rig:
AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Proccessor
ASUS GeForce GTX750Ti 2GB STRIX
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD

Solution
If it wasn't installing them while the power went out then it is a bit odd..

Try this for me, go to control panel, type in "admin" at the search bar at the top, select "administrative tools", "Disk Clean-up" and select whatever drive you installed Windows to. Then hit "Clean up system files", select your main drive again, and when its done 'scanning', untick everything except for Windows Update clean-up and and Driver Packages, then hit Ok.

That should clean up any Windows Update files, if you want you can then defrag your drive by going back to Admin tools, defrag and optimise, etc. That's all I can think of, sorry if it doesn't solve your problem

~Exiled Storm

capsam500

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
The only thing I can maybe think of is that the cpu could be being bottlenecked by your graphics card. That really is quite an odd issue especially if your graphics drivers are up to date too. Have you also checked that your pc is not getting too hot as AMD cpus tend to get pretty hot and can sometimes cause issues in games if not cooled properly with thing such as fps stuttering etc.

Hope this helps In some way

ExiledStorm

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
If it wasn't installing them while the power went out then it is a bit odd..

Try this for me, go to control panel, type in "admin" at the search bar at the top, select "administrative tools", "Disk Clean-up" and select whatever drive you installed Windows to. Then hit "Clean up system files", select your main drive again, and when its done 'scanning', untick everything except for Windows Update clean-up and and Driver Packages, then hit Ok.

That should clean up any Windows Update files, if you want you can then defrag your drive by going back to Admin tools, defrag and optimise, etc. That's all I can think of, sorry if it doesn't solve your problem

~Exiled Storm

Solution

capsam500

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

In addition to this open cmd as administrator and type 'sfc/ scannow' and it will scan your pc for any disk errors and ensure nothing In your operating system is corrupt which many have happened in the power cut during your update

ExiledStorm

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

^ ^ :D

noahdess2828

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
it sounds like thermal throttling check temp on cpu

Omarvin Gaming

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Thanks for the help, I'll try this right now and give you a feedback.

Omarvin Gaming

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

I forgot to mention that the temp of the CPU doesn't exceed 55 C and the GPU 52 C. So I don't think I'm having any problem with the temps.

Omarvin Gaming

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
So I just did what ExiledStorm and capsam500 told me to do, but sadly it didn't fix anything. Let me tell what exactly happens.
First off, I start my PC, the CPU and GPU fans turns on, but very low noise, like normal. I play a game (e.g. GTA V). When it's loading, I can hear my fans, especially my GPU fan, starting to gradually spin faster. This is normal. GTA V loads, which gives around 70 fps at high settings. After 5-10 min of gameplay, when the fan spins at max revs, my fps drops to 35 instantly. The happened after I installed GTA V, and the other updates (like I mentioned before). The problem is that, this didn't happen to GTA V only, it happened to all my other games as well. I'm just hoping it's not any hardware problems.

I guess I will refresh my PC. What do you guys think? Any other options?

ExiledStorm

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Well if you're willing to refresh it and it doesn't delete all your files then it sounds like a good idea.. I can only think of one more thing. Download MSI Afterburner and Core Temp (on my phone currently so I can't fetch you a link, it's from a place like alcpu) and CPU-Z. Open Both programs and game normally, when your FPS drops then bring up the two programs and see if you notice anything weird going on in either. (GPU usage jumping around, clock speeds throttling, etc) We can then judge if its best to fix it or just completely refresh your OS

Power supply brand, model and power plz.
There is a chance the part that is overheating is the PSU... Hell, It could even be the Motherboard or RAM.
A delay in FPS drops almost always means Temperature problems (as it takes a bit of time to reach temps where the computer has to slow down in order to protect itself).

Omarvin Gaming

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

My PSU is EVGA 500W.

Omarvin Gaming

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
I have discovered another issue. I have ASUS GPU Tweak (similar to MSI Afterburner), where I could previously change the fan speed, clock, etc. However, after playing a game (and after the frame drop too), I can no longer change, the fan speed. It's spinning at max revs even after I've closed the game and with no background apps, and it stays at max revs till I switch off my PC. This is so weird. Like wtf is wrong with this sh*t??!

ExiledStorm

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Uninstall GPU Tweak (Seriously it sucks, I'm using the older DCU-II 750Ti), I think your GPUs having problems, GPU Tweak might be freaking out and telling your card to do all sorts of things.. That's all I got before I recommend a refresh, unless you can find more issues we can use to diagnose the problem