[SOLVED] I dropped my 5900x and now it wont boot

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
I was moving my cpu around the house in its plastic shell, I accidently dropped it onto cement,none of the pins are damaged but it wont boot.
Does anyone know how to remove the top cover with a video I could watch, so I can see how bad it is inside?
Stupid me threw out the box

Solution
Yeah I wouldn't call it dead, CPU's are rather strong, I've abused both AMD and Intel CPU's, AMD just sucks that it has pins but if none of the pins are bent or missing, I wouldn't say its dead. If you seen how I store my older CPU's like my Core 2 Duos or old Xeons, you'd probably cringe at me, I just toss them in a bin that has a bunch of spare PC parts lol. I do take better care of the AMD stuff just because of the pins.

If you were located near me, I'd test it out for ya on my board, im currently on a 5800x on a Asus Tuff x570, I no longer have a my Threadripper, darn board died on it and it was cheaper for a 5800x and x570 board than what it was for a x399 board... And I really don't need a ton of threads anymore.
It was working fine, I dropped it and now it wont boot. I was just wondering if I could repair it, guess not
@kurdtnz 's point is it may be the fault of the motherboard if BIOS isn't up-to-date enough. Ryzen 5000 CPU's came out last, after even x570 and b550 boards came to market, so the board may not have a BIOS that will boot up your 5900X. If yours isn't up to date then you'd get the exact same symptoms.

The way Ryzen CPU's are made the heat spreader is actually soldered to the CPU and I/O die so removing it means heating the CPU to a temperature sufficient to reflow the solder. A hot plate or oven with good temperature control will be needed if you want it to work after. There's an overclocker in Germany who can do it (derBauer) but it's not gonna be cheap to de-lid your 5900X just to find one of the three die broke loose.

Last edited:

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
@drea.drechsler @kurdtnz
It was alive before: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...e-could-ryzen-be-the-issue.3728664/?view=date

I would suggest taking some HD photos of the underside - perhaps even the sides. Use imgur.com and post 'em here.
The IHS is supposed to protect against things like this, so if it has incurred a scratch or 2, not a big deal - or so I've seen...
Thanks for that, I'll do that when I get it back from my friend. He's trying in his 2 ryzen motherboards.
If it doesn't boot in either of his I guess it's ruined?

Yeah I wouldn't call it dead, CPU's are rather strong, I've abused both AMD and Intel CPU's, AMD just sucks that it has pins but if none of the pins are bent or missing, I wouldn't say its dead. If you seen how I store my older CPU's like my Core 2 Duos or old Xeons, you'd probably cringe at me, I just toss them in a bin that has a bunch of spare PC parts lol. I do take better care of the AMD stuff just because of the pins.

If you were located near me, I'd test it out for ya on my board, im currently on a 5800x on a Asus Tuff x570, I no longer have a my Threadripper, darn board died on it and it was cheaper for a 5800x and x570 board than what it was for a x399 board... And I really don't need a ton of threads anymore.

Solution