Question I dropped my external hard drive and now it won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2019
When I plug it into the laptop, it makes a weird clicking sound and the computer no longer reads it. I tried to take apart but can only get out one of the screws to see if maybe it's not on the track from the fall. Any advice?

Aug 13, 2019
I think you might be able to knock it again and get it to work. If so....I would get anything off of there fast because I think it will probably fail again.

Although I think if it is mechanically damaged....many times there isn't much you can do.
Im afraid to drop it again as all the photos and videos of my life and my parents are on it. Is there a place I can bring it to have it transferred safely?

There's nothing you can do that won't make matters worse. The drive has sustained physical damage. If there is data on that drive that you didn't back up (why not?) and need access to, then only a professional recovery service has any chance at recovery. Do NOT play with this drive any further or you will create a situation where even the pros can't recover anything. Furthermore, if you actually removed any screws from the drive mechanism itself then you've broken the air tight seal and potentially contaminated the platters with dust/dirt which may very well have rendered the drive unrecoverable.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
There are places that will try to recover your data.
If it's really important I would look into this.
A local computer store may or may not be able to do this....
BUT....if they can't.....they may know who can.
I definitely will bring it somewhere. The problem is that only some of it backed up. I was in the process of backing up when it got dropped

DSzymborski

Titan
Unfortunately, you're well beyond the capabilities of a big box retail store. This is what data recovery looks like:

DriveSavers-Review-Smartphone-Data-Recover-720x479-495x400.jpg

I'd search for data recovery in your area and cross-reference with the Better Business Bureau. Competition has brought prices down that you may find a good firm willing to do it for $400-$500, but this can frequently cost over $1000. And there's also no guarantee that anything will be recovered; hopefully the other screws are still really tight and you didn't break the seal, in which case your odds of recoverying anything will get much worse.

DSzymborski

Titan
yeah the other screws are supertight. Best Buy has a place where you can drop off and they state they send out for recovery?

Bad idea. This means you can't vet where Best Buy sends the hard drive and considering this is a dropped drive with physical damage (failed or damaged drive), that instantly puts you in their "Level 3" data recovery at $1,450.

If this data is important to you, do not take shortcuts.

Aug 13, 2019
I was able to locate a place that will do a diagnostics and let me know if they can retrieve. Fingers crossed that they can or I will be crying for years! Oh and this was my backup drive because my computer crashed with all the photos and videos on it.

DSzymborski

Titan
It obviously won't help you now, but the standard 321 rule-of-thumb is good to adhere to in the future. That means a minimum of three different copies of important data, in at least two different formats, with at least one copy stored off-site. You want to get into the mindset that all data is temporary and that even "the" backup is insufficient for your valuable things.

Aug 13, 2019
Thanks and I used to have too many backups and thought two would be enough but obviously not. Wondering if I can get the data that was once on google to be recovered as that was my 3rd but I wiped it to make room

DO NOT OPEN IT YOURSELF.

U never disclosed what brand HD is this. Am not sure if Seagate/WD have data recovery service and/or how good or $$$?

I trust Rossmanngroup.com, go over there see how much they want and you have to ship the thing to NY. As always data recovery is not guaranteed, but if is irreplaceable data...

No need to tell us these are your wedding pictures, too late for that.

Aug 13, 2019
Its not just my wedding photos but every photo from my family back to the 1900's. I do have some on another drive but not them all so yeah it's irreplaceable. There is a place here in Tampa that will look at it and decide if it's worth sending it out so not going to Best Buy. I will also contact Rossman group.

Status
Not open for further replies.