I feel a bit like AM4/Ryzen was "a bill of goods", how about you?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
First off, I am currently using an R7 1700 that I recently upgraded to from an R3 1200. I was SUPER impressed with the R3...the 7 is 'meh okay' in relation to it from a price to performance standpoint.

I recall that when the Ryzen was 'breaking' and being talked about that the big points made where the lowered TDP to processing power, and the (continuing) promise about how the AM4 socket was going to continue to be supported longer for those wanting to 'upgrade'. Here we are on the 2nd gen chips which seem to show much better performance...and yet, no 65W option, actually an INCREASE in TDP...and then we find out that if we chose to use one of the 1st gen chipsets we will see "less than optimal performance" from our 2xxx series Ryzen.

I know speaking from my own recent purchase that I would have been PISSED to have waited another couple of weeks, upgraded to the new CPU to find out that my motherboard, 'promised' to be forward compatible "really" isn't.

???

Solution
Huh? What are you talking about?

I recall that when the Ryzen was 'breaking' and being talked about that the big points made where the lowered TDP to processing power...Here we are on the 2nd gen chips which seem to show much better performance...and yet, no 65W option, actually an INCREASE in TDP.

First, Ryzen 1st gen did lower the TDP. 125W (or 95 for the later 8320s, etc.) dropped down to 95W for most of the Ryzen chips. I'm not sure what you are talking about with Ryzen 2nd.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html

The replacement for the 1800X isn't the 2700X, but the 2700. The 1800X and the 2700 have identical specs. Only difference is the 2700 has a lower base frequency (Same turbo...
I don't think it is the equivalent of a giant foot kick in the nads to not have only 99% of the X470s performance on the X370 or B350...

Each current Ryen owner/potential Zen+ purchaser will have to choose whether they think that 5-8% jump is worth the cost of a new processor, but, the 2600 thru 2700X series seems impressive so far....

Gains above the R5-1600/2600 when both are near 4.0 GHz are debatable....

4745454b

Titan
Huh? What are you talking about?

I recall that when the Ryzen was 'breaking' and being talked about that the big points made where the lowered TDP to processing power...Here we are on the 2nd gen chips which seem to show much better performance...and yet, no 65W option, actually an INCREASE in TDP.

First, Ryzen 1st gen did lower the TDP. 125W (or 95 for the later 8320s, etc.) dropped down to 95W for most of the Ryzen chips. I'm not sure what you are talking about with Ryzen 2nd.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html

The replacement for the 1800X isn't the 2700X, but the 2700. The 1800X and the 2700 have identical specs. Only difference is the 2700 has a lower base frequency (Same turbo however.) and the lower 65W TDP. You know, that thing you said didn't exist. They share the same other stats including Core/Threads, etc. The 2700X does have a higher TDP, but it has higher base and turbo frequencies. So not a big shocker there. You stated there are no 65W when there are.

and the (continuing) promise about how the AM4 socket was going to continue to be supported longer for those wanting to 'upgrade'.

AMD has historically provided a longer lifetime for a platform compared to Intel. Intel just gave us the 8xxx series of chips, kept the socket the same, yet required a new chipset to make everything work. We still get people coming here complaining their 8400, 8600, etc doesn't work in their Z270 board. I/we have to explain they need a new board even though the socket is the same. And you complain AMD is doing people wrong?

The data is a bit incomplete right now, but even if the 2nd gen really only works at 1st gen speeds in 1st gen boards, that's the price for backwards compatibility? At least they allowed it to work unlike other companies. When looking at the Tom's review at least you get higher clocks and better numbers all the way around. At least when you use a new 4xx chipset.

Solution
Also you must remember, ryzen 2 is only an incremental upgrade. Basically, from what I remember, they said ryzen 1 was effectively their worst case scenario. Ryzen 2 is not a big change.

The bigger change will come next year when they shrink to 7nm. That should allow better power envelopes and higher clock as well as higher IPC if all goes as planned.

But do you feel you were sold a bill of goods? I think ryzen 1 or 2 are great value. I paid about 200 last year for a ryzen 1600. Before that, to get that kind of power was hundreds more from the blue team. AMD really forced Intel into providing better values.

As far as per envelopes, who cares, imo as long as they run fast and cool that's what I care as far as a CPU is concerned.

4745454b

Titan
The data is super new so it's possible there is something the masses haven't seen yet. All in all this is a slight, 3-5% improvement. You can also get 4.2GHz OC on the CPU now instead of 3.9-4.0. A bit better on the IPC, and a few more clocks, all tucked in the same package with as good if not better TDPs. Considering how good Ryzen 1.0 was after the RAM stuff was fixed, this is good news indeed. I'm almost a bit sad they gave us this in April instead of June/July because as I understand things this is it from AMD on the CPU front for the rest of the year. But anytime someone moves the needles into a better position I don't see how you can call things a fail. More so when they kept their promise of working in older boards.

Where is that review btw? Who tested the new CPU in the older boards? Can anyone save this mod some time?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, right about the time I post this I came across the 2700 without the X........oops.