Question I feel like my 10 years old moniter has bad image quality

wiwoudido

Prominent
Feb 15, 2018
So i got this moniter as a gift so i searched the spec online only to see that it is a 10 years old moniter (i dont know how they got it ) i have a gtx 1060 and i always thought that image quality looks bad on it compared to gameplays on youtube that i watch on my phone(s8+) so i was wondering if i upgraded to a new moniter will i have the same image quality as those gameplays

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
What is the monitor resolution? We need some more information about your system in order to troubleshoot the issue. It would also help to get the specs on your computer (RAM, MoBo, CPU, PSU, ect.) just to get an idea of what it should be able to put out as far as performance.

So i got this moniter as a gift so i searched the spec online only to see that it is a 10 years old moniter (i dont know how they got it ) i have a gtx 1060 and i always thought that image quality looks bad on it compared to gameplays on youtube that i watch on my phone(s8+) so i was wondering if i upgraded to a new moniter will i have the same image quality as those gameplays
The Galaxy S8+ has an OLED screen. No monitor except an OLED TV or an old plasma TV used as a monitor will look anywhere near as good as it looks on your phone screen. On an OLED screen, each pixel is individually addressable and can be turned from completely off (black) to on. The colors are especially vivid, and the pixels can turn on or off almost instantly. By contrast, an LCD monitor uses a single backlight (tuned to an artificial white so the colors are not as vivid), and the LCD panel lets the correct amount of light through at each pixel. There is always some light leakage so blacks are really a dark grey, and the liquid crystals take some time to realign so motion will be a little smeared.

Why don't you list the model number of your monitor and we can tell you what drawbacks it might have? 10 years old is recent enough that it may be using a LED backlight, in which case the usable life of the monitor is probably around 20 years. But if it's using a CFL backlight, those tend to fade over time with a usable life of 5-7 years before reaching 50% original brightness. You could replace it, but it'll probably be easier to get a new monitor and demote this one to a second screen.

Last edited:

wiwoudido

Prominent
Feb 15, 2018
What is the monitor resolution? We need some more information about your system in order to troubleshoot the issue. It would also help to get the specs on your computer (RAM, MoBo, CPU, PSU, ect.) just to get an idea of what it should be able to put out as far as performance.
I have a gtx 1060 6 gb, a rayzen 5 1500x, b350 tomahawk msi 8 gb ddr4 ram the moniter is a 1080p monitor

wiwoudido

Prominent
Feb 15, 2018
The Galaxy S8+ has an OLED screen. No monitor except an OLED TV or an old plasma TV used as a monitor will look anywhere near as good as it looks on your phone screen. On an OLED screen, each pixel is individually addressable and can be turned from completely off (black) to on. The colors are especially vivid, and the pixels can turn on or off almost instantly. By contrast, an LCD monitor uses a single backlight (tuned to an artificial white so the colors are not as vivid), and the LCD panel lets the correct amount of light through at each pixel. There is always some light leakage so blacks are really a dark grey, and the liquid crystals take some time to realign so motion will be a little smeared.

Why don't you list the model number of your monitor and we can tell you what drawbacks it might have? 10 years old is recent enough that it may be using a LED backlight, in which case the usable life of the monitor is probably around 20 years. But if it's using a CFL backlight, those tend to fade over time with a usable life of 5-7 years before reaching 50% original brightness. You could replace it, but it'll probably be easier to get a new monitor and demote this one to a second screen.
https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c02205631

This is the moniter that i got

FreakenEpic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2017

Also the gameplay is recorded at the resolution of the monitor and things like color accuracy will not get transferred on to the recording as it's not literally recording the screen.