Question I feel like my fps is a lot lower than it should be

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nh6nvn (current build) (in this case I am using a 1080p 60hz asus monitor not the 1440p monitor)

I have been using a 1440p 144hz monitor and was looking into 1080p 240hz and was testing what fps I would get in games that I play to see if it's worth it for me to get a 240hz monitor. I hooked up one of my cheap 1080p 60hz monitors just to test and I'm getting around 85-100 fps in games like apex legends and pubg (ultra settings on pubg and medium settings with no shadows on apex). I feel like with a $700 gpu I should be getting almost double the fps as I'm currently getting. I recently restored my pc to factory settings and wiped all hard drives to see if that would speed up my computer but it didn't do much at all. If anyone knows of possible reasons for the low fps or if has something to do with the parts I have please let me know.

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
You might be cpu limited, Ryzen can’t hit the same highs as Intel. Are any cpu cores hitting 100% already?
I'm not sure how to check individual but in my task manager it shows my cpu utilization ranging from 25-35%

also I just realized my gpu usage is around 50-70% even though I have the power option set to maximum performance in the settings

Last edited:

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
stick with 1 thread
I have an evga rtx 2080
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nh6nvn (here's my build just in case)
some games it uses close to 100% but some games it doesn't. On games like league of legends my fps will drop to around 100-110 when there is more stuff on the screen (makes sense) but when I check the gpu usage its at around 25-35%??? I have the settings in the 3d settings set to maximum performance. Is there something else I need to do to make sure I am getting the most out of my gpu?
Also the gpu temps don't go above 72 degrees Celsius and my cpu usage isn't high so I'm pretty sure there is no bottleneck.

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
spamming
I have an evga rtx 2080
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nh6nvn (here's my build just in case)
some games it uses close to 100% but some games it doesn't. On games like league of legends my fps will drop to around 100-110 when there is more stuff on the screen (makes sense) but when I check the gpu usage its at around 25-35%??? I have the settings in the 3d settings set to maximum performance. Is there something else I need to do to make sure I am getting the most out of my gpu?
Also the gpu temps don't go above 72 degrees Celsius and my cpu usage isn't high so I'm pretty sure there is no bottleneck.

I'm not sure how to check individual but in my task manager it shows my cpu utilization ranging from 25-35%

also I just realized my gpu usage is around 50-70% even though I have the power option set to maximum performance in the settings
Use a program like MSIAfterburner to monitor everything including all cpu cores/threads. Total cpu usage doesn’t tell you much, it only takes 1 core hitting 100% to limit performance.