Discussion I find the Asus Prime z390 -A PCB is really weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2020
I got the Asus Prime z390, I got 3 boards that all became trash in less than a month and I never turned it on. Installed the backplate for the Mugen 5 rev B. and the motherboard warped, So I sent it back to Amazon Prime for a replacement and the fastener wouldn't latch the CPU, I sent it to Asus fulfillment center for them to fix it and they do their tests and send it back and says nothing is wrong with it. I bought another one from Newegg thinking it may have gotten damaged by Amazons speedy delivery service, well I got a little further and put the heatsink and fan on, but the motherboard warped again and would not line up with case IO shield that came with motherboard. So I decided there was nothing for me to do but just toss it in the garbage, I took the CPU, and apparently, the latch doesn't lock tight enough as some of the thermo paste got onto the contacts so, now I had to through the CPU away too.

I built computers most of my life that had a lifetime use of 7 years. I used Asus to build all my computers, and was a Asus fan, now I am not quite sure so I took the cpu and and motherboard out and just through them both in the trash. I ain't messing with Asus sorry worthless DMA stuff. It cost me 10.00 for them to tell me the board I sent in nothing was wrong with it. I also through the mugen 5 B away because taking the fan off I damaged the heatsink so I decided the motherboard Mugen 5 and CPU can all go into the trash, because I can't get thermo grease off the CPU contacts without damaging it.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"and apparently, the latch doesn't lock tight enough as some of the thermo paste got onto the contacts so "....

That is on you. Likely could have been cleaned with some time and effort.

And as for "warped" motherboards some additional information and explanation is needed. Maybe some photographs of the end installations.

Moving thread to Opinions and Experiences.

Oct 12, 2020
Well, not going to get answers to my problem with the Asus Prime Z390 A motherboard in comments and opinions. I know better to install a warped motherboard in a case it will just fry as soon as I stick a heavy graphics card on it. The problem is the PCB is too weak to support the CPU cooling tower of the Mugen 5 r.B and that is the fact, I did clean most of it off but must have missed some as I thought I would try to put it in the case without the heatsink and fan on to see if it reasting on the stand offs would fix the warp problem but because the ports would not fit into the IO shield I decided it was a brick and the motherboard was trash, so before throwing it away I decided to salvage what I could from it and the Ram was the only thing I could salvage. I picked up the CPU properly, but apparently I missed the thermo paste that got onto the contact side of the cpu I couldn't even clean it off because it was all smeared into the contacts, that I tried to clean off with a achole saturated coffee filter, which I also used to clean the top, but I didn't clean it off all the way because I thought I was going to put the heat sink back on and clean it better than. So the CPU became a brick.

Ralston18

Titan
Okay - your post is back in "Motherboards".

Either I failed to properly execute the intended move or someone moved the post back. No problem with the latter.

However, with the motherboard(s) and a CPU thrown away - I do not see any remaining questions or problems remaining to be answered.

All seems moot now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS