I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing ..

I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp. In DOS mode I
type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I do?

Taylor1n2 wrote:

> I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp.

Next time just format the hard drive as the 'PeeCee' doesn't need formatting.

> In DOS mode I
> type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I do?

Boot from the CD. (change boot order in BIOS if it doesn't). Preferred method.

Or cd to the i386 directory and run winnt. It'll probably be bloody slow
that way because I'm guessing you're booting from a DOS disk without
smartdrive. It'll go faster if you copy the i386 directory to the hard
drive first and then invoke winnt from there, plus you have the files on
the hard drive for any time you add/remove windows features and so don't
need to shove the CD in the drive.

boot from the CD

"Taylor1n2" <taylor1n2@aol.com> wrote in message
> I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp. In DOS
mode I
> type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I
do?

jeff

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but.... as I undestand it
WindowsXP does not recognize DOS during setup. You need to go into
the BIOS and change the first boot drive to CD Rom since the WindowsXP
disk is bootable.

You should be on your way at that point. Post back if that doesn't
work.

Good luck.

On 29 Jun 2004 02:40:46 GMT, taylor1n2@aol.com (Taylor1n2) wrote:

>I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp. In DOS mode I
>type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I do?

in the I386 directory is "winnt.exe". Run it.

If your boot method didn't load smartdrive, the installer will
probably warn about that, but would run, slower.
http://www.broomeman.com/support/smartdrv.html

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On 29 Jun 2004 02:40:46 GMT, taylor1n2@aol.com (Taylor1n2) wrote:

>,;I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp. In DOS mode I
>,;type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I do?

Two choices.

1. Go into BIOS and set boot sequence to boot from CD.

2. Download a SIX floppy set that you can boot and then load XP from
DOS.

Yes it consists of SIX floppies. I had to do this recently and it
works. You will need access to the Internet of course to get that set
of floppies.

Jeff wrote:

> I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but....

Yes, indeed, looks like you're not an expert in tr@olling;-)

Roy

Why are you at a DOS prompt to install XP???

Boot your computer from the XP CD and follow the directions. It's simple.

--
DaveW

"Taylor1n2" <taylor1n2@aol.com> wrote in message
> I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp. In DOS
mode I
> type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I
do?

In article <20040628224046.16712.00000498@mb-m22.aol.com>, Taylor1n2
says...
> I formatted my PC and now I am having problems installing winxp. In DOS mode I
> type in setup, and the screen reply, will not run in DOS mode. What do I do?

cd i386
winnt

You're trying to run the setup from the root directory of the CDROM
which is a Windows executable. Change to the i386 folder and run winnt.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...