[SOLVED] I found a pre-built with an i5 10400 for 370€ and another one with an i7 10700 for 540€. Are they worth it or should i just build my own pc?

Check the prices for all the parts separately, and read as in-depth review as possible (to check for stuff like how good the psu and motherboard is, or if the ram is at its correct speed out of the box and such, stuff you usually cant see on spec sheets)
then check if theyre good enough, and are cheaper than building your own with the same parts.

Reactions: GiorgosGe
Link to the pc's?

The issue with pre builds, especially from oem manufacturers like hp/dell etc is upgradability.

A lot of the boards, cases and psu's are proprietary models and are awful when it comes to upgrading components, especially gpu's.

At those prices they're almost certainly using integrated graphics, so it depends on your proposed uses??

If for any kind of gaming they'll be worthless, and for future gaming you'll likely have a very hard time adding any decent gpu.

What GPU?

The issue with those prebuilds is.

1. Really you want 16gb ram (2x8gb) nowadays for gaming

2. They all state 500w psu, it's likely a low end unit not suitable for gaming.

Essentially the prices look OK but the fact is if you have to spend another €160 straight away to upgrade the psu and ram they instantly lose any form of value.

Do you actually have a gpu to use??

If not how long until you can afford one?

How much can you actually spend on a pc now outright?

I can pull you out a custom build on e-god.gr with absolutely solid components but need to know exactly what your budget is and your intended future uses?

The integrated gpu of either i5 or i7 will suffice for anything except gaming.
For that, you need a suitably strong discrete graphics card.
You indicated that you have a gpu.
What is the make/model?
Do you have any other parts?

I note that neither of the options includes an OS>
Have you considered that?

Looking at the cases, it seems to me that they are deficient in cooling capability which is important if you will be using a strong graphics card.

My inclination is that I would not buy either unless you are incapable of assembling a pc yourself.

The integrated gpu of either i5 or i7 will suffice for anything except gaming.
For that, you need a suitably strong discrete graphics card.
You indicated that you have a gpu.
What is the make/model?
Do you have any other parts?

I note that neither of the options includes an OS>
Have you considered that?

Looking at the cases, it seems to me that they are deficient in cooling capability which is important if you will be using a strong graphics card.

My inclination is that I would not buy either unless you are incapable of assembling a pc yourself.

I did link above to a Greek site that's allows component choices and offers free assembly.

Have a quick look, I picked him a ryzen 2600x, a good B450 board, 16gb ddr 3200 ram,a fairly budget patriot 480gb ssd, a cooler master mb600 case with 2 x 140mm intakes and a 120mm exhaust and a cx550 psu.
Comes in at a touch over €500 I clouding assembly + delivery charges.

Seems a very good deal although I'm not familiar with the actual site.
They do have decent reviews though.

Obviously this relies on having a gpu (even an old one) to hand.

Last edited: