I fried my laptop motherboard Dell precision m7710 with i7-6920hq, gtx 1070

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
So as the title says, yesterday i was doing some benchmarking with the palmrest and keyboard off, trying some cooling mods so the motherboard was exposed, during stress testing.
And the system was probably pulling over 200watts from the wall, so i got the desired temps i wanted and was about to put the palmrest back over it, then it happen, one of the screw standoffs tap one of the little beige rectangle thing (tantalum capacitors, later on I found out).

So Im going to try to buy another one of those and resolder it, but the issue is, i cant find the voltage of it, which i might have to trial and error but don't know if that might mess it up more, but I'll most likely start at the lowest voltage and work my way up.

And hopefully its just that and none of the connections under the pcb been completely fried/disconnected, but i can only fix what i can see. Also can anybody help me find a dell precision motherboard schematics (actual circuit diagram), not the pci diagrams.

I've spent quite of money on this system it be a real shame if it just become a paper weight, and i can't just buy a new motherboard cause my cpu is soldered on to it. And you cant really find any, and if you did they'll be 500$ with the exact cpu.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you were playing with fire and got burnt.

Did you hit the bottom of the capacitor or the top, should not have caused any issue touching the top of a solid capacitor.
If you did touch the bottom I would remove the board completely at this point to see if there is any other visible damage before even trying to order parts.

Is there any single sort of part number or anything on that capacitor (possibly when you remove it) because wihtout that only Dell could actually tell you what it is.
And yes trial and error with capacitors could fry the rest of your board. Even under-voltage could cause issues and failure.

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012

yea pretty much if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it

And this the second time it actual done that, in the same spot, the first the system was off but the powercord was still in, and started up like nothing happen.

But this isn't the usual type of capacitor (tower) but its a low profile, SMD type and a Tantalum capacitor.
but do you think dell support can give me details on it.

Ima try to get a picture linked to (you know an easy way)

TRENDING THREADS