Question I get 5 beeps on startup. No Post.

Sep 7, 2022
So, I have an old pc that I use for digital art and gaming. I just got the psu since the previous one exploded and I just formatted my hardrive. I also installed AMD catalyst control center (because I was told to download this when I was installing sketchup), and while it was restarting , it BSODed. I was waiting fir it to restart on its own but it was just stuck to 0% so i manually restarted it. After that, it was stuck on boot and keep on looping at automatic repair without the loading icon showing. I turned it off for a few minutes and then turned it on again. It booted up and went to automatic repair with now the loading icon and it booted up successfully. Few hours later, there was a power outage while I was using it. I didn't open it until this morning, and i got 5 beeps.
Here are my things:
Motherboard: AsRock 970 Extreme3
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 245
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770 Sapphire (the one I'm currently using and the one that beeps) , AMD Radeon HD 6770 HIS (my spare one that doesn't display and doesn't beep when I use it)
PSU: Corsair VS650
RAM: two of G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL and two of PNY Performance DDR3 1600MHz NHS Desktop Memory
Windows 10 is installed.
I know my setup is pretty old, but I don't have any option to buy a new pc since I don't have the budget for it. This is my only desktop computer and I really needed it for my animation course.
This are the things that I have done so far:
  • reseated my gpu, ram sticks
  • tried another working cpu
  • tried another gpu (other gpu was not displaying and no beeps, idk if its still working but the fan i spinning)
  • changed the thermal paste
  • tried the jumper thing and cleared the cmos
  • change the cmos battery
  • tried cleaning the slots and the pins
  • tried testing it outside the case
They said that 5 beeps in AsRock are the gpu not being detected so i kept reseating it to the other slot back and forth but got the same 5 beeps. I think my gpu is good since i didn't encounter any issues with it before installing that AMD control center plus the part when my pc BSODed while it was restarting, (I think there was also an update for windows because I remembered there was an icon on the task bar for an update) so I suspect that it did something bad hence why it's not being detected? I tried googling this but most of the solutions did not work for me. Any help will be appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Name of the IED style PSU?(I'm not kidding, here, explosive PSU's are probably the root of all the issues you're facing).

RAM: two of G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL and two of PNY Performance DDR3 1600MHz NHS Desktop Memory
You might want to try and work with one set of ram, instead of mixing and matching rams.

If you think the GPU isn't the issue, best drop it into a known working platform/motherboard and see if the GPU is functional. If it is indeed functional, then your board is the root of the issue.

Sep 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Name of the IED style PSU?(I'm not kidding, here, explosive PSU's are probably the root of all the issues you're facing).

You might want to try and work with one set of ram, instead of mixing and matching rams.

If you think the GPU isn't the issue, best drop it into a known working platform/motherboard and see if the GPU is functional. If it is indeed functional, then your board is the root of the issue.
I'm sorry I'm a little slow but what do you mean by "IED style PSU"? Also, thanks for mentioning about the ram, didn't know that I'm supposed to use only one set. I don't have any extra motherboard that works so I'm probably going to a computer repair shop and ask them to check it out.

Lutfij

Titan
IED = Improvised explosive device - I was referring to the PSU exploding. Ram and ram upgrades should be treated similar to a pair of shoes, you can wear two shoes from two different pairs, to protect your feet. It 's just it makes you look silly.

Sep 7, 2022
IED = Improvised explosive device - I was referring to the PSU exploding. Ram and ram upgrades should be treated similar to a pair of shoes, you can wear two shoes from two different pairs, to protect your feet. It 's just it makes you look silly.
It was Thermaltake TR2 600W. It exploded while I was just starting a game. Before it exploded, I was already experiencing shutdowns during boot.