[SOLVED] I get 50-70fps on my games using 60hz monitor, Is there a difference if i upgrade my monitor to 144hz?

Sep 4, 2020
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1650 Super
Monitor: Samsung Curved 24" 60hz

I planning to buy a new 144hz monitor but my games running only from 50 to 75 fps on High Settings 1080p.

Is there a difference in visuals if i use 144hz monitor even if i get only 50 to 75 fps on games?or should i stick to 60hz monitor?

Solution
Dear OP.
Upgrading to a 144hz monitor, will most likely not yield any noticeable difference.
However, if upgrading to a 144hz display that has adaptive sync, you can enable G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel.

Having G-Sync will allow you to have your frame rate in games uncapped, and will allow them to fluctuate as they do, and you won't get any screen tearing.

Along with no screen tearing, (which without adaptive sync requires V-Sync) you get lower latency than you do when using V-Sync.

Furthermore, it will be useful in the event that you play a game that your current GPU can push higher frame rates in.

On top of that, in the event that you get the money together, and decide to upgrade your graphics card and get more frames, you...

johnsoner13

Respectable
It’s not a placebo, I can assure you of that. If you have access to both try it for yourself.
Could you explain to me how that works then? Doesn’t make sense to me because if the game is at 60 frames per second, it doesn’t matter how many times the monitor refreshes because how can it display 144 different images a second if only 60 frames per second are sent to the monitor?

Could you explain to me how that works then? Doesn’t make sense to me because if the game is at 60 frames per second, it doesn’t matter how many times the monitor refreshes because how can it display 144 different images a second if only 60 frames per second are sent to the monitor?
I don’t know how it works but I know I am not the only one who notices a benefit. The only thing I am aware of is the lower possible latency when not using adaptive sync. I may get this wrong as I am going from memory. If a new frame is sent by the gpu but the prior frame has only just been drawn by the monitor then at 60Hz the maximum delay for the new frame to be drawn is 1/60 second. At 144Hz the maximum delay is 1/144 second. I don’t know if this helps it feel smoother or just reduces lag.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Dear OP.
Upgrading to a 144hz monitor, will most likely not yield any noticeable difference.
However, if upgrading to a 144hz display that has adaptive sync, you can enable G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel.

Having G-Sync will allow you to have your frame rate in games uncapped, and will allow them to fluctuate as they do, and you won't get any screen tearing.

Along with no screen tearing, (which without adaptive sync requires V-Sync) you get lower latency than you do when using V-Sync.

Furthermore, it will be useful in the event that you play a game that your current GPU can push higher frame rates in.

On top of that, in the event that you get the money together, and decide to upgrade your graphics card and get more frames, you will be able to benefit from that as well since you will already have the 144hz monitor.

But as it stands, with your current settings, and current performance in game (that you have stated, as that is all the reference I have at the moment) you will not necessarily experience a major difference compared to using your current 60hz monitor.

So upgrading will instead come down to what I just said, which is improved experience in the event that you play a game that your GPU can push higher frames on, and/or upgrade your GPU for higher performance (more frames)

Hope this helps answer your questions. :)

Reactions: demigodz24
Solution
144htz screens are always going to be better quality and lower latency.
In that respect movement on screen can look more 'fluid' even at 60fps on a good 144htz panel compared to a budget 60htz screen.

It could possibly considered a 'placebo' effect but isn't really imo.

That said I don't think you'll get any value out of a 144htz screen personally with that range of fps.

If you're current monitor is on oldish budget one then a decent freesync/gsync compatible 75htz screen would probably make more sense when it comes to a price/performance ratio.

Reactions: sizzling

frederickalliston

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 12, 2020
In a gamer's journey, the choice of a graphics card is not one to be taken lightly. An essential component of a machine tailored for the game, but not only, the graphics card is increasingly central.

However, there won't be any difference in visuals if you use 144hz monitor. Now it's up to you to make your choice

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Not a pro here.
I don't know if for gaming it will make a difference (maybe only when frames go above 60, and if max is 75fps, I have no experience of that change) (maybe other factors like response time will make a different experience) but for daily use of Windows, it will feel smoother. But again, if you haven't used a 144Hz monitor yet, it's probably isn't an issue.