[SOLVED] I get flashing black rectangles on some applications and games.

Jul 3, 2020
I have a Powercolor RX 480 and a Ryzen 7 1700x. It boots into the OS fine with no graphical problems, but in most games and some regular applications i get small black/white rectangles flashing on the screen in a weird regular grid. frames are fine, but it shows up when windowed, even shows up when game capturing. i think it might have something to do with continuous load, but i'm really not sure. please help, thank you

Solution
This could be caused by a driver not being up-to-date.

Are you on the latest update for your graphics card?

Make sure you try CLEANING all drivers off your machine and re-installing.
This may help remedy the issue.

If you find that it persists after troubleshooting - it may be a faulty Graphics Card.

Does this happen with every game? Sometimes this could be the read operation from the Hard Drive failing.

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013

If you find that it persists after troubleshooting - it may be a faulty Graphics Card.

Does this happen with every game? Sometimes this could be the read operation from the Hard Drive failing.

Solution
Jul 3, 2020
oh

OK, so i just fresh installed windows, tried a game on an external hard drive, it happened with nearly all games, i've installed all of the drivers for the gpu. Everything else works fine and as i've said it seems to be an internal issue because it appears on the screen recording and windowed.
I would really hate to have a bad graphics card but that might be what it is.
Thanks