tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
Hi everyone,
I get lots of request time out on my computer when I ping 8.8.8.8 . Basically I disconnect a lot while gaming, watching videoes, etc. I have an ethernet connection. This issue only occurs on my computer. I checked the connection simultaneously on my cellphone and laptop (through wi-fi) and I didn't disconnect at all. I also connected to my network with my computer's wi-fi. When I do that I get the same amount of request time out but it seems that I actually get disconnected less when chatting or playing games!
This is my setup:
From my outdoor modem (ubqnt Nano 5) to my switch
From the switch to my pc, my brother's pc, my wi-fi router
What is the problem and what should I do?
Can u please give me step by step instruction?
Thanks all!

Solution
I would check the ping using a linux live cd to eliminate any windows issues with your system. If the ping is smooth under linux, you've got a windows issue on just your system.
As weird as it might be I found out that the windows is probably telling the truce! I tested the ping on my brother's pc. I get the same amount of time out. So I guess it's my provider after all.
You have a strange internet connection if it is delivered via ubiquiti nano.

Normally I would say ping the router IP and see if you get loss since this would be in your house. You could still do that but it is unclear where the router is. Normally a nano device is a bridge.

If the problem is actually with your PC you should see loss to the router.

If you see no loss to the router then it becomes very complex. Your other machines share the same network connection past the router. If there was a issue all would have the problem. So your first test says it is not your pc or the router and the second test says its not the network past the router. This means you don't actually have a problem :)

You are going to have to do some more careful testing to see which of these conditions is not true.

Maybe ask your ISP if the run the nano as a router or as a bridge.

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
You have a strange internet connection if it is delivered via ubiquiti nano.

Normally I would say ping the router IP and see if you get loss since this would be in your house. You could still do that but it is unclear where the router is. Normally a nano device is a bridge.

If the problem is actually with your PC you should see loss to the router.

If you see no loss to the router then it becomes very complex. Your other machines share the same network connection past the router. If there was a issue all would have the problem. So your first test says it is not your pc or the router and the second test says its not the network past the router. This means you don't actually have a problem :)

You are going to have to do some more careful testing to see which of these conditions is not true.

Maybe ask your ISP if the run the nano as a router or as a bridge.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
I pinged my nano 5 and I didn't get any loss.
Since my modem is on the roof and my isp calls it an antenna, not a modem and it's facing toward a specific direction, I assume it's a bridge.
I don't know any other way to test this and I was pinging my devices for at least 20 minutes and only 1 time I had a disconnection in both my computer and laptop. I try to come up with something. I am also open to suggestions. :D
Edit: if it helps, I have kali on my laptop and windows 10 on my pc.

This is one of those it can't actually work the way you say things so there has to be something different.

Between you and the router you machines appear different. Past the router they all share the same IP address....the routers. So when you ping say 8.8.8.8 it actually thinks both machines are coming from your router, it really has no way to know it is not actually the router sending the ping.

Can you tell if it is your nano that is the default gateway or is that the ISP router.

All I can think of is there is another machine on the ISP network that somehow is affecting you machine. Maybe a ip conflict. You could try to change your IP manually but if this is really a shared subnet you may stomp on some other user since you can't really tell which ip are used and not.

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
This is one of those it can't actually work the way you say things so there has to be something different.

Between you and the router you machines appear different. Past the router they all share the same IP address....the routers. So when you ping say 8.8.8.8 it actually thinks both machines are coming from your router, it really has no way to know it is not actually the router sending the ping.

Can you tell if it is your nano that is the default gateway or is that the ISP router.

All I can think of is there is another machine on the ISP network that somehow is affecting you machine. Maybe a ip conflict. You could try to change your IP manually but if this is really a shared subnet you may stomp on some other user since you can't really tell which ip are used and not.
Thanks again!
I am not an expert but something interesting (to me at least) happens:
Lots of the times that I get a request timeout on my pc, the ping on my laptop actually freezes for a second and then instead of showing me time out like my pc it continues as if nothing happened and shows me lets say 150ms.
I think of other machines in my network but as far as I know there are only the devices I know of.
And I don't understand the meaning of this:
"Can you tell if it is your nano that is the default gateway or is that the ISP router."

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
I would check the ping using a linux live cd to eliminate any windows issues with your system. If the ping is smooth under linux, you've got a windows issue on just your system.
As weird as it might be I found out that the windows is probably telling the truce! I tested the ping on my brother's pc. I get the same amount of time out. So I guess it's my provider after all.

Solution
It is a wifi connection some packet loss is extremely common in general. When you use Wifi to provide internet service you are generally sharing with a large number of people. Wifi was not really designed for that purpose it has little ability to share. This is done because it is cheap. The newest wifi6 might work better if/when they make devices. Most ISP that do WISP services use other radios that run on the same radio bands as wifi but run more like a cell tower where the central station can control the end units. Of course there are much more expensive than a $50 nanostation.

tegno

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
It is a wifi connection some packet loss is extremely common in general. When you use Wifi to provide internet service you are generally sharing with a large number of people. Wifi was not really designed for that purpose it has little ability to share. This is done because it is cheap. The newest wifi6 might work better if/when they make devices. Most ISP that do WISP services use other radios that run on the same radio bands as wifi but run more like a cell tower where the central station can control the end units. Of course there are much more expensive than a $50 nanostation.
What I have is basically my only option. The money isn't my main concern. I just can't use the newer technology.

What I have is basically my only option. The money isn't my main concern. I just can't use the newer technology.
Yup I used to live way out in the country where that was my only option. They used crap equipment and still charged a lot. They got bought out by a larger wireless ISP. They used better equipment that at least was more stable but it had a extremely low monthly bandwidth cap so you were limited in what you could really do.

Living where there is good internet has made me rethink my plans to build a new house on that land.

Reactions: tegno