I get the Fan Error on my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPENCERP

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I have a Lenovo T-510.

A couple of days ago when I was on my laptop it just suddenly turned itself off.
I turned it back on and I got "Fan Error" on screen.
3613iDC088D25F4FC19A0

I went to Youtube and I saw that you could just blow into the fan and it would be OK.
I did and it worked. The computer booted and everything went OK.

A few hours later the laptop turned off.
I felt under the laptop and it was very hot.

I opened the laptop (remove palm rest) and cleaned the fan. The heatsink was HOT

I put the laptop back together and everything went fine.

A day later while using the laptop it cuts off and it won't come back on even when the laptop is cool.
I finally manage to put it back on. (somehow bypass error) but fan doesn't work.

I reboot the laptop and the fan only comes on for 3 seconds and it stays off for the rest of the time.
I reboot it 20+ times. Sames results.

I open the laptop up and it is HOT.
I leave it alone for the rest of the day.

Now a day later I turn it back on and the fan is working full time with no problems.
CPU is 39c. Fan is running the whole time. (<Good)

What I want to know is what is wrong with the laptop and what do I need to do?
I don't want to spend much because I might have to get a laptop soon anyways.

Thanks.

metalicgeek

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Older laptops often have a problem where the fan motor gets "sticky." You can try this by physically attempting to spin the fan with your finger; if it does not rotate smoothly, you have the sticky fan issue. The best solution in this casewould be to lubricate the fan with electronics-safe lubricant (I am unsure if WD40 counts). Besides this, you may want to have the laptop serviced, or purchase a new fan yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.