Mjcurry3

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Well lemme start out by saying this, I built a new computer about 3 months ago and now i have a fried mobo and processor. When the system was built, it was running great, but i was getting random restarts everyone once in a while. Well one night i shut my comp down, and i go to crank it up in the morning, and it tries to get running for about 3 seconds, then just powers down. It would then continue to do this over and over until i unplugged the machine. So i took it to a few shops when finally someone said it was fried mobo and processor. Being that Newegg is the Sh*t, they warrantied everything.

Ok here she is or WAS....

Case: NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver Aluminum Construction Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU: Corsiar hx520W Modular Power Supply

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Ram: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100199L Radeon X1950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

OS is windows XP.

OK NOW HERE IS MY NEW PROBLEM!!!!!

I rebuilt the computer with all the same products EXCEPT i changed the motherboard, processor, and CPU fan.

The New build is the same as above but with these new parts.

MOBO- GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

CPU Fan- Arctic Cool Freezer 7 pro

Alrighty now for the problem, when i start the computer everything seems to be working well. BUT the cpu fan is not running... I have not reinstalled my OS or anything at all, and have no idea weather i need to seeing as how im using the same hard drive that already was equipped with XP before i rebuilt this.

I do not want to fry my processor or anything so i havent really toyed with this thing at all yet.... Messed with the fan setting in the bios and still the fan will not run properly. The CPU fan is plugged into the 3 pin connector on the motherboard labeled CPU fan, i would assume that is correct. I had this same problem before i rebuilt the system, im thinking this is either a power supply problem or maybe another fubard motherboard? Starting to wonder about this whole computer thing for me... Please help me guys im about to burn this thing in my front yard...

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Edit/Delete Message

I would recommend that you reinstall windows XP. Just boot from the cd and go thru the installation process as usual and at the last prompt select repair. You can do a repair installation that will leave all of your programs in tact but will configure windows to your new hardware then you reinstall your motherboard drivers.

Do you have the old motherboard drivers still installed? If so, uninstall them and all of the software for it then install your new motherboard drivers and additional software.

Is the CPU fan a stock fan that came with the processor? You could have a bad CPU fan and you don't need to run your system if that isn't working. I would suggest you try to return it or buy a new after market brand like Zalmann. Theres several good brands to choose from that will fit your budget.

Make the CPU fan your first priority to fix. You don't want to burn up this processor and motherboard if you haven't already. After you replace this and see that its working then you can reinstall windows and the drivers like I stated above.

Be sure you have the 4 prong power cable correctly seated in the motherboard next to the CPU. If none of this works you possibly could have a bad connection on one of the cables on your 20/24 pin connector to the motherboard.

I would look at that too. If one of the cables appears to be pulled out of the connector just press it back until the cable is fully seated like the rest and reboot.

There's a number of issues that could be but this should eliminate a few of the possibilities and who knows, maybe even fix it.

Let us know...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Mjcurry3, the A/C Freezer 7 Pro's fan uses the same 4 pin connector as Intel's stock cooler, and not a 3 pin connector. Many motherboards have both, so use the manual to help locate the 4 pin connector, and you should be OK. Also, be sure that BIOS fan settings are Manual at 100% RPM. After you're up and running, fan settings can be tweaked to suite your needs.

Comp :sol:

Wolfshadw

Titan
When I first built my HTPC (Gigabyte G965-S2 or something like that/E6600 with stock HSF), I noticed upon first power up, the HSF kind of stuttered and took nearly a minute before it actually spun up. My HTPC case has a front LED panel which displays Ambient and CPU temps. It took a minute or two for the CPU temp to rise; thus getting the HSF to start spinning. Now, it spins up on power up. Perhaps this is the issue?

-Wolf ponders

I have not reinstalled my OS or anything at all, and have no idea weather i need to seeing as how im using the same hard drive that already was equipped with XP before i rebuilt this.

Your hard drive not only has your Win XP OS installed, but the drive also has your MB drivers, etc. from your previous P965 MB. If you expect your new P35 system to run properly, reinstall XP and the new P35 MB drivers for your new MB.

authoratah

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Which fan headers are you using? Sysfan1, sysfan 2, pwr fan? Are you using any cables between the fan and the motherboard? Not under-volting anything are we?

You may find that with the DS3R that the fans don't appear to be spinning according to the PC health stats. I've worked with this board myself and I would caution you against removing the CMOS battery. Just jumper the pins if need be.

You'll note that some of the fan headers are 4 pin, whereas some of your fan connectors are only 3 pin. Don't worry about this though, you can plug in the 3 pins to the 4 pin header. Look for a small collar in front of 3 of the pins. The fourth pin will be comparatively unobstructed.

TRENDING THREADS