Discussion I give up

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I picked the worse time in history to do my "Main Machine" build. I am done with NewEgg Shuffle (I'd like to see the stats there...what are my odds? Los Vegas is required to show odds on their slot machines)

Everything is doable if I grin and absorb the pain of a new build-except for the graphics card.

I refuse to pay the obscene prices of what passes for a g-card; that's if I can even buy it.

I'm just done.

We need more than 2 fabs that make all chips for Planet Earth.

We need more that 2 Video Card makers.

We need the Free Market to speak up,

Last edited by a moderator:
If the 3rd manufacturer was here im sure they would be in the same place as rtx 3000/rx 6000 series.
I feel your pain, but be patient, and whatever you do dont pay the scalpers.
Do something else that will distract you from this situation, go running for example, cool down a bit.
Just be patient and know that you are not the only one experiencing this.
Follow local deals, or wherever you want to get your gpu from and see if the prives go down or anything.
Good luck!

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Yup, same, I built my PC last year and got everything except for the graphics card that was going to be a 3070, but <Mod Edit> happens I guess.

First the pandemic hit then the miners, everything went to hell in a handbasket in matter of months and now I'm stuck with a high end build paired with a GT 710.

Prices in my country are so Removed up that I have to cross the border in order to buy components for reasonable prices, it's a long trip by bus and I was going to do it until the virus came, borders closed, no one can leave for months let alone to get PC parts. Lockdown ended and I had the chance, but then the mining craze exploded, stocks were gone in days and prices skyrocketed even more.
The "normal" price in my country was twice that from the US due to some taxes and massive greed from vendors, now it's 4 times, a 3070 costs the same as a new car.

4c874cfa1c9cd99f18ffce8bd4529cd8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, same, I built my PC last year and got everything except for the graphics card that was going to be a 3070, but <Mod Edit> happens I guess.

First the pandemic hit then the miners, everything went to hell in a handbasket in matter of months and now I'm stuck with a high end build paired with a GT 710.

Prices in my country are so f*cked up that I have to cross the border in order to buy components for reasonable prices, it's a long trip by bus and I was going to do it until the virus came, borders closed, no one can leave for months let alone to get PC parts. Lockdown ended and I had the chance, but then the mining craze exploded, stocks were gone in days and prices skyrocketed even more.
The "normal" price in my country was twice that from the US due to some taxes and massive greed from vendors, now it's 4 times, a 3070 costs the same as a new car.

4c874cfa1c9cd99f18ffce8bd4529cd8.jpg
"Heroin"

Reactions: yeetbucket

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
You could try to make a personal scalping bot. Just like if stock exists then buy. Id try python if I were you. I mean there's a good chance it will not work but at least it lets you feel like your doing something.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Im in the same boat.
Building new pc and the card was the hardest part to source. I also didnt find the CPU I wanted 5900x, or my snd choice the 5600x. I ended up with a 5800x and a very over priced GPU Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 that I found at RogueCast $929!!

Reactions: Dj0gany
I picked the worse time in history to do my "Main Machine" build. I am done with NewEgg Shuffle (I'd like to see the stats there...what are my odds? Los Vegas is required to show odds on their slot machines)

Everything is doable if I grin and absorb the pain of a new build-except for the graphics card.

I refuse to pay the obscene prices of what passes for a g-card; that's if I can even buy it.

I'm just done.

It's not the chip makers fault. It's miners buying up all the cards because they're greedy. How about this mining rig. It has 78 RTX3080's. Yup, 78. That's about $100K in video cards alone.

76979_01_this-crypto-mining-rig-has-78-geforce-rtx-3080-graphics-cards_full.jpg

Reactions: Bassman999

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
If the 3rd manufacturer was here im sure they would be in the same place as rtx 3000/rx 6000 series.
Do something else that will distract you from this situation, go running for example, cool down a bit.
Just be patient and know that you are not the only one experiencing this.
Follow local deals, or wherever you want to get your gpu from and see if the prives go down or anything.
Good luck!

"I feel your pain, but be patient, and whatever you do dont pay the scalpers. "

We call need to heed this advice! That is the only way bthe prices will ever come down.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
You could try to make a personal scalping bot. Just like if stock exists then buy. Id try python if I were you. I mean there's a good chance it will not work but at least it lets you feel like your doing something.
Nah. I was thinking about it,but nah. It would be fun to see it as a programming challenge and a way to flex the programming muscles, but nah. I'll wait.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Im in the same boat.
Building new pc and the card was the hardest part to source. I also didnt find the CPU I wanted 5900x, or my snd choice the 5600x. I ended up with a 5800x and a very over priced GPU Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 that I found at RogueCast $929!!
The 5800x is great, I'm using it right now, runs cool and everything, shame I couldn't get the card to play some games

it's a painkiller after all

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
The 5800x is great, I'm using it right now, runs cool and everything, shame I couldn't get the card to play some games

it's a painkiller after all
Think your life's bad now? Wait until Herion enslaves you,making you live, breathe and do things you as a non-addict would deem disgusting. Each and every soul crushing day.

Unless your talking about a game...then thats ok.

D

Deleted member 2838871

"I feel your pain, but be patient, and whatever you do dont pay the scalpers. "

We call need to heed this advice! That is the only way bthe prices will ever come down.

Yep. Don't pay the scalpers. I didn't... which is why I have an Intel CPU and not AMD.

Patience is key. I snagged a 3090 from BB and beat the bots... it was actually the first part I acquired because my original plan was to just upgrade my 1080 Ti and keep my 7700k CPU. Once I realized that was a poor decision looking at 10 cores vs 4 cores and the things I wanted to do (gaming, encoding, etc) I built an entirely new PC from the ground up instead.

You have to do things like camp out web pages and Microcenters if you want a GPU at retail price.

Reactions: ClapTrapper

DSzymborski

Titan
Las Vegas is required to show odds because you're paying money to enter the slot machine. Not so with Newegg's product shuffle. You only pay if you win and even then, you still have to voluntarily agree to.

It's awful, but if you don't want to pay scalper's fees, you have to be persistent. I had a spare laptop with bot streams on Twitch open for two months, along with Discord alerts. The amount of effort I spent getting the CPU and GPU was worth more than the markup, but I did not want to pay a scalper out of the principle.

I was really bummed at one point because the one time I got a 5900X in the product shuffle, I had taken some cough medicine and dozed off because of a really nasty cold, and I slept through the entire window to actually buy the CPU. Had two more almosts after that: I just missed it on AMD Direct (and was clicking so furiously I bought a 3950X by accident) and my initially successful Amazon order on 2/3 was canceled. I finally lucked out on one of AMD Direct's 11:15 AM drops a couple weeks ago.

I was a bit more fortunate with the 3080. That one I got before the product shuffle, on 1/13 when Newegg was dependably having 7:30 PM drops.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Las Vegas is required to show odds because you're paying money to enter the slot machine. Not so with Newegg's product shuffle. You only pay if you win and even then, you still have to voluntarily agree to.

Don't know much about it because I am not in the market for any PC parts (thank God) but I saw Jayz mention Newegg's shuffle in a video the other day and how utterly stupid it is... for obvious reasons. When the last guy can win the right to buy a CPU/GPU over the first guy to sign up it's pretty dumb which is basically what he said.

Pretty sad what the PC part market has become... Honestly though outside of a GPU it's really not that difficult you just have to do what I did and go with readily available Intel over AMD. The 10900k is still a beast processor and honestly I could give a rat's that Intel has been stuck on 14nm. (y)

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
So i've won the Newegg shuffle a total of three times out of the maybe 7 times i've entered it. The first time I could have bought a 5800x or a 6900xt and passed. The second time I bought a new Series S for my son and this last time I snatched up an Evga 3060xc. So i'm not sure why I'm winning so much but i'm trying to pass it onto the community by selling my older parts at cost in the classified section.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
So i've won the Newegg shuffle a total of three times out of the maybe 7 times i've entered it. The first time I could have bought a 5800x or a 6900xt and passed. The second time I bought a new Series S for my son and this last time I snatched up an Evga 3060xc. So i'm not sure why I'm winning so much but i'm trying to pass it onto the community by selling my older parts at cost in the classified section.
You need to play the lottery!!
And thanks for thinking of others!

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021

I'm just done.

get the GT 1030 to complain about the slowness of the game by lack of optimization! normally games should run minimum on the cheap graphics card at least up to 200$ but since everything cost above 200$ graphics card a considered HIGH-END LUXURY, games should not really require so much money grinding to the bare minimum graphics card, try fps mods for your favourite games or go an expensive CPU with dedicated graphics if you have no other choice, I know its bad but it can do something with that expensive integrated graphics