Discussion I give up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I picked the worse time in history to do my "Main Machine" build. I am done with NewEgg Shuffle (I'd like to see the stats there...what are my odds? Los Vegas is required to show odds on their slot machines)

Everything is doable if I grin and absorb the pain of a new build-except for the graphics card.

I refuse to pay the obscene prices of what passes for a g-card; that's if I can even buy it.

I'm just done.

We need more than 2 fabs that make all chips for Planet Earth.

We need more that 2 Video Card makers.

We need the Free Market to speak up,

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2021
So i've won the Newegg shuffle a total of three times out of the maybe 7 times i've entered it. The first time I could have bought a 5800x or a 6900xt and passed. The second time I bought a new Series S for my son and this last time I snatched up an Evga 3060xc. So i'm not sure why I'm winning so much but i'm trying to pass it onto the community by selling my older parts at cost in the classified section.
I have entered the Newegg Shuffle over 10 times now and have not once gotten a win. It's beginning to get as frustrating as seeing 100 RTX 3080 GPU mining rigs.
I'm starting to also wonder if there is any way to see what our odds are for winning.

I got very lucky with Alternate here in Germany, I got my 5900x around 6 weeks after my order went in and my Asus 6800xt with the AIO 2 months after I ordered. I was thinking I might get the GPU in February if I was lucky but it was delivered on the 23rd of December.... now that was a Christmas present and a half!!! and the price was 1.129€ which at the time was brutal but it is no longer even anywhere to buy now, only one on Amazonyouupyera**se for 1.899€ so in the end I actually got a good deal.

I got very lucky, I appreciate that and to all those looking just keep looking, they are out there, somewhere.......

Reactions: Bassman999
We need more than 2 fabs that make all chips for Planet Earth.

actually we have several of them. but to be on top you really need to invest hundreds of billion dollar. and when things go wrong it can mean the end of the company itself in term of competitiveness. just look what happen to intel and GF. and i think China's SMIC just go under because of massive mismanagement.

We need more that 2 Video Card makers.

there is still some legit GPU maker exist today. but most of them did not want to compete on consumer desktop market (pc gaming).

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021
I am even struggling to find gtx 1050 ti used for less 250 euros and new ones cost more than 300 euros and I didn't even had a change to reshuffle due to my location being close to asia

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021
actually we have several of them. but to be on top you really need to invest hundreds of billion dollar. and when things go wrong it can mean the end of the company itself in term of competitiveness. just look what happen to intel and GF. and i think China's SMIC just go under because of massive mismanagement.

there is still some legit GPU maker exist today. but most of them did not want to compete on consumer desktop market (pc gaming).
we need mass production of a all around card NOT RTX but one that can run the most graphical demanding games at 60 fps medium settings nothing more and I am stuck with the super cheap GPU since anything more is too expensive about my older suggestion after some testing GT 1030 will be outdated in the next year

D

Deleted member 2720853

It's not the chip makers fault. It's miners buying up all the cards because they're greedy. How about this mining rig. It has 78 RTX3080's. Yup, 78. That's about $100K in video cards alone.

76979_01_this-crypto-mining-rig-has-78-geforce-rtx-3080-graphics-cards_full.jpg
Not only miners. Let's see, there's also:

1. There's a global pandemic affecting supply chains for everything including PCBs, raw materials etc.
  2. Demand is at its highest point since these are the biggest generational leaps in performance from both companies, and they have a good MSRP
  3. TSMC & Samsung being overloaded, global chip shortage
  4. GDDR shortage.

A lot of things are affecting this. Yes, miners are part of the problem but not the sole problem.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

antonis mark

Prominent
Jan 21, 2021

1. There's a global pandemic affecting supply chains for everything including PCBs, raw materials etc.
  2. Demand is at its highest point since these are the biggest generational leaps in performance from both companies, and they have a good MSRP
  4. GDDR shortage.
A lot of things are affecting this. Yes, miners are part of the problem but not the sole problem.
do you have alternative what to do with the GT 1030 , I already have a multimedia computer so that's not a choice , it is no longer good (I mean would be no longer good) , I am thinking of staying to GTX 1050 TI but it still overpriced too far from MSRP 150 to 270 and 360 euros , that's clearly not worth it for a card that's going to be outdated and previous budget generation

we need mass production of a all around card NOT RTX but one that can run the most graphical demanding games at 60 fps medium settings nothing more and I am stuck with the super cheap GPU since anything more is too expensive about my older suggestion after some testing GT 1030 will be outdated in the next year

the situation we have right now will persist as long as mining are profitable with GPU. right now it doesn't matter if AMD/Nvidia make ten thousands or one million GPU per week miner will going to take them all. and "corrupt" AIB/distributor will only make things worse.

4. GDDR shortage.

99% of the problems are miner. everything else combined is just 1% of the problem.

4. GDDR shortage.
Yes, all valid points I'm well aware of. I specifically mentioned mining since it takes the problem to a whole new level from making the cards hard to get to nearly impossible to get. But yes, you make very valid points most of us here know all about. Cheers.