Question I goofed up when taking CPU out and putting it back ?

Jun 7, 2023
I wanted to reapply thermal paste in order to put on a new CPU cooler. Stupidly, I decided to take out the CPU from the socket for cleaning. Later, when putting it back in the socket, I tried starting it before putting the cooler on, to ensure that it worked properly. However, my monitor didn't get any signal from the on-board HDMI output (my CPU has an iGPU that has previously worked). I looked to see if there were any bent pins, but I did not see any. The power on light turns on when starting, as do the fans. Also, I have tried turning the computer on both with and without the CPU, and it fails to start without it but turns on with it (again, with no screen output).

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Have I broken any component in the course of taking the CPU out and putting it back in? Could the problem just be that I have not put on the cooler yet?

Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G

I know I messed up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 7, 2023
I have tried just plugging in the CPU fan header previously. Now I have installed it fully as well, thermal paste and all. Still does not work unfortunately. Thank you both for helping out though.

Jun 7, 2023
You checked for bent pins, but did you also check for debris in the CPU socket itself?
Yes. I did not see any debris. Here are some images of the pins, as well as the socket, in case someone else is able to spot something that I did not: View: https://imgur.com/a/YetqY14

Have you tried the basic remove the Bios battery while the PC is disconnected from the mains electric for a few mins?
I have repeatedly, but admittedly I don't know for how long. I did it over 15 minutes ago, and it remains in that state. Would another 15 minutes be sufficient to decide whether to discount this approach?

Thanks again to everyone involved for your time.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Just put it all fully back together so its in the PC case and everything connected double checking everything as you go don't rush it stop hand have a cuppa tea or coffee break then try it

sometimes it just works and well other times I think you can work that out because if you can't then lord help ya.

If it still doesn't work post back

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2947362

well clearly something is not working, thing is what is causing it,

have you tried the infamously annoying method of test every stick of RAM one at a time and on/in each slot?

D

Deleted member 2947362

Double checked that everything is connected property. Unfortunately, the issue remains. Should I assume faulty components at this point?
it's the good o'l case of process of elimination, try and work it out that way and RAM a good place to start.

test each stick of ram in each slot 1 at a time just to see if it will boot with 1 stick or ram

Jun 7, 2023
I am really grateful for you helping me troubleshoot this.

Alright, I have two things to note:
The computer doesn't start at all now. No lights, no fans. Nothing.

2. I checked the RAM. Something I did notice was the fact that it looks like the RAM does not go in all the way. I have tried applying a fair amount of force, but any more and I feel like I may risk breaking something. On the side of the RAM with the clicky thing, I have to really force it down for it to click, at which point it does look like it is all the way down in the slot, but only on that side.

Anyway, the RAM should not affect whether the fans start spinning or not, right? So is it something else? Thanks again for your time.

D

Deleted member 2947362

You did unplug the system from the mains electric first and you are putting them in the correct way around making sure the little slot on the bottom of the stick of ram is lined up to the little notch in the motherboards ram slots aren't you? or they won't go all the way in lol

you should hear a slight click but not always (lol) as they lock the ram in place.

Just look at clips on the side of the ram slot and make sure they are in there fully locked position.

if you forgot to disconnect the PC from the mains electric before/each time you swapped out ram while testing the the ram may/could be damaged.

anyway I shall assume you have them install correctly
so
now there is nothing no motherboard lights anything?

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I am really grateful for you helping me troubleshoot this.

Alright, I have two things to note:
The computer doesn't start at all now. No lights, no fans. Nothing.

2. I checked the RAM. Something I did notice was the fact that it looks like the RAM does not go in all the way. I have tried applying a fair amount of force, but any more and I feel like I may risk breaking something. On the side of the RAM with the clicky thing, I have to really force it down for it to click, at which point it does look like it is all the way down in the slot, but only on that side.

Anyway, the RAM should not affect whether the fans start spinning or not, right? So is it something else? Thanks again for your time.
Well that's certainly not right. I have to ask, are you putting the ram in the right direction? It sounds like you have it backwards to me. Or something is very wrong with your ram slots.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Please don't take offence to these next questions?

have you built many PC's

and do you much experience with hardware?

just so we can have an understanding of your knowledge with what your attempting to do.

it just make it a little easier to try and help and if we are not giving you enough clear info for you to understand.

Reactions: Richj444
Jun 7, 2023
No offence taken.

I have technically never built a full PC before, but I've changed out a PSU, several GPUs, installed a MOBO with a CPU on it, changed out cooler, switched out RAM. So I have some prior experience. Last time I installed RAM was DDR3 though, and I'm pretty sure I did not use any extreme force when putting in those.

Basically the only thing I have not done so far is to slot the CPU into the motherboard. Now we see how that went...

And yes, I am sure that I'm slotting the RAM in the right direction. Perhaps something is wrong with my RAM slots (they did seem to fit before though). Still, could RAM really be the only issue given that no fans are spinning or anything right now?

Jun 7, 2023
You did unplug the system from the mains electric first and you are putting them in the correct way around making sure the little slot on the bottom of the stick of ram is lined up to the little notch in the motherboards ram slots aren't you? or they won't go all the way in lol

you should hear a slight click but not always (lol) as they lock the ram in place.

Just look at clips on the side of the ram slot and make sure they are in there fully locked position.

if you forgot to disconnect the PC from the mains electric before/each time you swapped out ram while testing the the ram may/could be damaged.

anyway I shall assume you have them install correctly
so
now there is nothing no motherboard lights anything?
Yes, the system was unplugged. And my motherboard does not seem to have any lights. There is a click if I press them in on one side, but then the other side sticks out (it clearly is not meant to look like this).

D

Deleted member 2947362

yeah if ram is not seated correctly if may cause the motherboard not to power up just to protect it's self

are the clips that lock the ram to the motherboard on all ram sticks in fully locked position?

some boards like mind yes it almost feels like it's going to break something, they sometimes feel a tighter fit than other times, why not sure? maybe it's because when i am pushing them in they are going in more even rather than slight angle due to the way im pushing on the stick.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Yes, the system was unplugged. And my motherboard does not seem to have any lights. There is a click if I press them in on one side, but then the other side sticks out (it clearly is not meant to look like this).
you have them the wrong way around

D

Deleted member 2947362

MAKE SURE the slot on the BOTTOM of stick of RAM is line up with the notch INSIDE the RAM SLOT on the motherboard.

note: the word's in CAP's mean pay high attention (not shouting lol)

D

Deleted member 2947362

if it feels like a kind of seesaw effect when trying to insert the ram the turn them around.

sometimes the side that has the sticker with the ram timings on, faces the CPU heat sink not like that's any help but there ya go blame the ram makers.

Jun 7, 2023
They were the right way. I just had to apply even more force to the other side. The computer still doesn't boot, no fans or anything. Pretty sure something is broken in there, but I don't know what. Should I start testing the components one by one? If so, where do you recommend that I start?

D

Deleted member 2947362

It could be faulty motherboard, Ram, or even CPU you would need a different motherboard to test with but what has caused it is anyone guess at this point.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Or even the PSU, without having the parts directly front you it's hard to say or workout what's gone wrong and where.