[SOLVED] I got a new 1000Mbps network and im feeling scammed.

Oct 13, 2020
So, i got a new 1000mbps network and im getting about 30mbps download and upload.
I also have 2 Google WiFi Mesh routers (One downstairs and One upstairs) about 5 meters from my workstation.
Am i able to connect one of these routers to a wall port that leads to the power room where i have a gigabyte switch and share it to the other wall ports without dropping in speed?
Drilling a hole through the wall is not an option at this point.
Or do i just need to go buy another Google router, Set it up and take it to the power room and connect it to the Switch directly?
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
So, i got a new 1000mbps network and im getting about 30mbps download and upload.
I also have 2 Google WiFi Mesh routers (One downstairs and One upstairs) about 5 meters from my workstation.
Am i able to connect one of these routers to a wall port that leads to the power room where i have a gigabyte switch and share it to the other wall ports without dropping in speed?
Or do i just need to go buy another Google router, Set it up and take it to the power room and connect it to the Switch directly?
Your "primary" Google WIFI (the one connected to the internet) could have an ethernet cable run to the "power room". That can be connected to a...

kanewolf

Titan
Your "primary" Google WIFI (the one connected to the internet) could have an ethernet cable run to the "power room". That can be connected to a gigabit switch. You can then connect your second Google router to the cable from the power room on 1 port and your PC on the second port. You get wired connectivity.

Here is an article on wired connectivity with Google WIFI -- https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624?hl=en

Solution
Oct 13, 2020
Your "primary" Google WIFI (the one connected to the internet) could have an ethernet cable run to the "power room". That can be connected to a gigabit switch. You can then connect your second Google router to the cable from the power room on 1 port and your PC on the second port. You get wired connectivity.

Here is an article on wired connectivity with Google WIFI -- https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624?hl=en
Basically the only way i can run the ethernet cable to the power room would be using the LAN port on the wall and then add another ethernet cable on the other end to the switch located in the power room and from the switch back to the other wall ports that lead to other rooms on the house and from those other rooms i could connect my devices by using ethernet cables.
Sorry if my explanation is a bit messy. :D
(Primary Google WIFI -> On the wall LAN Port -> Powerroom(Fuseroom) LAN Port 1 -> Switch Port 1 -> Powerroom LAN Port 2 - 8 -> Other LAN ports scattered over the house -> Device) Would this work and could it drop the speed or have no difference?

kanewolf

Titan
Basically the only way i can run the ethernet cable to the power room would be using the LAN port on the wall and then add another ethernet cable on the other end to the switch located in the power room and from the switch back to the other wall ports that lead to other rooms on the house and from those other rooms i could connect my devices by using ethernet cables.
(Primary Google WIFI -> On the wall LAN Port -> Powerroom(Fuseroom) LAN Port 1 -> Switch Port 1 -> Powerroom LAN Port 2 - 8 -> Other LAN ports scattered over the house -> Device) Would this work and could it drop the speed or have no difference?
The description sounds like it should work. I have never used Google WIFI hardware, so I have no first-hand experience.

That's completely fine, your router doesn't need to be in the same room as the network switch and that's how you would have it wired normally anyways even with the router in the network switch room. The only difference is the extra long run of cable to the main router, which isn't a problem as long as you can get gigabit ethernet speeds to the switch. Given the distance of the average house, the length is fine and you should be able to hit gigabit speeds.

The only thing I would mention is that with some mesh systems, you have to change the settings to specify an ethernet backhaul to the mesh nodes (access points). I've never used the google system, but there should be some way to check if it's using ethernet backhaul to all the nodes.