Question I got a new CPU and now my PC is malfunctioning when i play games

Sep 9, 2019
Basically I wanted to upgrade my CPU from my a4-7300 duel core to an AMD Athlon X4 860K quad-core. I bought this new CPU used. Since putting it in everything has worked fine until I decide to play games. It freezes my system at random times and I often can't do much for a while until it unfreezes. However, I can still talk to people on discord while it's frozen which confuses me. Icons and things disappear from the games as if it's trying to save resources or something. Sound also randomly cuts out and never comes back. The power usage of this CPU is around 50W higher than my old CPU which makes me think its a power issue. I need help trying to figure out why this happens so hopefully, someone can lead me in the right direction.

My system specs are
Nvidia Gt 1030
AMD Athlon X4 860K quad-core
8gb ddr3 ram
300w power supply
Gigabyte GA-f2A68HM-HD2 motherboard
Sff 455gb HDD (pretty old I think)
windows 7 pro

Sep 9, 2019
Gigabyte GA-f2A68HM-HD2
Novatech 300w power station v2, model number FSP300-60HHC(85)

I checked my CPU temp and it seems fine but ill try check it when it is actually freezing so I can confirm

Sep 9, 2019
I have just checked and there was 600 of http://prntscr.com/p3uze2 this error in just the last hour, but it shows I have had these errors for many months. however, I still don't know where to go from here because I'm guessing its CPU driver issues.
my computer automatically installed drivers when I first used the CPU. and the drivers say they are up to date.
I was going to try resetting my PC in hopes that would fix it.

EDIT - I found this that happened 30 min ago http://prntscr.com/p3v9z8
I'm guessing its a hard drive error, linked to the CPU

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
A defective HDD can cause the PC to load corrupt data and crash the PC too, at the very least cause the PC to lock up while the OS is attempting to brute-force its way through IO errors by retrying operations until they succeed or the retry count is exhausted. You should get a new HDD and backup your significant stuff (if any) before the drive dies.

Sep 9, 2019
I will do. However, it confuses me why this has only started happening when I got my (used) CPU. So do you think there's something may be wrong with the CPU as well or does my HDD and CPU just not like each other. I'm just concerned if I get a new HDD I could still have the problem or is that not really a possibility?

InvalidError

Titan
If your HDD is warning you about its imminent failure, you will have to replace the HDD regardless of what else might be happening with your CPU.

Will a new HDD to fix HDD problems fix your CPU issues? Probably not. No idea how good Novatech PSUs are in general, swapping in a known-good PSU of decent quality may be worth a try if you happen to have access to one.

I don't want to add fire to this situation, but... I have seen SATA cables and ports cause Windows to falsely report a hard drive failure because of dirty or broken connections causing data corruption. This isn't to say you shouldn't buy a new hard drive, just that there is a small chance that a new hard drive may have the same issue if you don't replace the SATA cable and change the SATA port used.

What you should do in your current situation is shut the system off if it is running and don't turn it on again and disconnect or remove the drive. Next, buy a new HDD or SSD and 2 SATA cables if you don't have replacements. Install the new drive and install Windows, then once you have all that sorted, confirm the system is working by using it for a couple days. Lastly, reattach the old drive with one of the new SATA cables into a different SATA port. You can also buy a USB 3.0 external enclosure, dock or SATA HDD USB 3.0 adapter that can power a drive externally. If you have an SSD, get a cheaper USB 3.0 SATA adapter that is usually about $10-12 like this model https://www.newegg.com/startech-usb3s2sat3cb-usb-to-sata/p/N82E16812400542