Question I got a new motherboard and CPU now windows wont boot no matter what

Jun 20, 2019
I bought a new CPU and Motherboard, windows wouldnt boot so I removed all of the drives except an empty M.2 and installed windows on that, now when the pc boots up it just freezes on a black screen with blue windows logo, i have tried everything I have found on Forums to fix this and have had no luck.... PLEASE HELP1

Reactions: rbagro
Dec 22, 2018
yeah seems so annoying dude, I have tried everything I can think of. I cant even get it to boot up in safe mode now for some reason....
Same here dude. Heres the things that ive tried
  • replacing mobo and cpu
  • psu tested, its good.
  • re installed windows
  • created different installation media
  • switch out on a working RAM
  • booting safe mode
  • turning off fast boot

Nothing seems to be working. I just want to enjoy my summer break playing games 😭.
I finally brought it in to a repair shop, ill keep you posted on what they find

Jun 20, 2019
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming pro carbon
CPU: Intel i7 9700k
Ram: 2x Corsair vengeance 3000mhz
Evga gold rated 650w PSU
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 SSD
MSI Gtx 1080 gaming x

Dec 22, 2018

Colif

Win 11 Master
its understandable why you did it. I tend to see patterns here too. Unlikely an AMD system will have same issues as Intel but I guess you could try some of below.

opening poster: have you put any other parts back into PC since build? did you put the old drives back in or do you get that black screen with just the m.2 attached? just wondering if motherboard has added the older drives to boot order or something like that.

Did you change anything in bios since install? like boot order or anything?

Does PC freeze like this if you boot off USB?
put USB in PC
in bios, on the save & exit screen, set boot override to USB - this will let PC boot off it one time, it will reset order back to defaults after it starts next time
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

could try startup repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

Could try chkdsk
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, agree to run at startup and restart. ir should pop up before windows tries to load and get stuck.

I would suggest Safe Mode except it doesn't work off USB boot

if you got multiple drives, wonder if the sata & M.2 combination table in motherboard manual (on page 32) comes into play. which m.2 slot are you using on board?

Jun 20, 2019
its understandable why you did it. I tend to see patterns here too. Unlikely an AMD system will have same issues as Intel but I guess you could try some of below.

opening poster: have you put any other parts back into PC since build? did you put the old drives back in or do you get that black screen with just the m.2 attached? just wondering if motherboard has added the older drives to boot order or something like that.

Did you change anything in bios since install? like boot order or anything?

Does PC freeze like this if you boot off USB?
put USB in PC
in bios, on the save & exit screen, set boot override to USB - this will let PC boot off it one time, it will reset order back to defaults after it starts next time
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.

could try startup repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

Could try chkdsk
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, agree to run at startup and restart. ir should pop up before windows tries to load and get stuck.

I would suggest Safe Mode except it doesn't work off USB boot

if you got multiple drives, wonder if the sata & M.2 combination table in motherboard manual (on page 32) comes into play. which m.2 slot are you using on board?

Initially I tried to boot with all of the drives in but seemed to be having trouble when I tried that, so I removed the drives that have data stored on them. The m.2 was empty now it has windows on it. I have checked the boot order and the other drives are no longer on it. I have tried booting from my windows usb but none of the repairs options come back with anything, they are all errors. I tried fresh installing windows to the m.2 it get through to the reboot phase and then when it attempts to reboot it just freezes on the MSI splash screen.

I haven't tried the chkdsk method, however I am at work right now so will have to try it when I get home.

Jun 20, 2019
Initially I tried to boot with all of the drives in but seemed to be having trouble when I tried that, so I removed the drives that have data stored on them. The m.2 was empty now it has windows on it. I have checked the boot order and the other drives are no longer on it. I have tried booting from my windows usb but none of the repairs options come back with anything, they are all errors. I tried fresh installing windows to the m.2 it get through to the reboot phase and then when it attempts to reboot it just freezes on the MSI splash screen.

I haven't tried the chkdsk method, however I am at work right now so will have to try it when I get home.
Forgot to mention that I am using the 2nd m.2 slot.

Jun 20, 2019
Doesn't slot 1 work with that type of m.2? I don't have one and was going to suggest slot 1 until I read 1st link below and he had it in 2.
Seems to be a lot of cases where a 970 isn't recognized by the board, see if any of the advice offered helps
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=312806.0

there are in fact 2 links there, forum just behaving differently when it comes to showing them.
I will try it when I get home later and I will update you.
Thanks

Jun 20, 2019
Also I have tried the chkdsk method above it says there are no problems with the disk, although it does say failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is there a choice in Boot order called WIndows Boot Manager as that might need to be 1st.

Im not sure if its the drive at fault or something else attached to PC that is making it stop and think. It was happy to install to it, its just not getting past boot screen which could be any hardware.

tried to run it without GPU and using the Intel HD graphics on CPU - attach monitor to motherboard?
tried starting with no USB devices attached?
1 stick of ram? I don't think its ram or it would have failed before you got to windows.

Reactions: Cameronlh

Colif

Win 11 Master
It doesn't have windows 10 boot manager, but it does have windows 10 whql support disabled?
enable that setting

to install Windows on the NVME Drive:

go into BIOS
set drive mode to UEFI
Enable Windows 10 WHQL Support
from link 1 above

tried fresh installing windows to the m.2 it get through to the reboot phase and then when it attempts to reboot it just freezes on the MSI splash screen.

So windows isn't actually fully installed?

Set M.2 as 1st in boot order
Use boot override to boot off USB
reinstall win 10 and see if you can get past the restart stage as all windows has done so far is copy the installer onto the drive, windows isn't actually installed yet.

Jun 20, 2019
enable that setting

from link 1 above

So windows isn't actually fully installed?

Set M.2 as 1st in boot order
Use boot override to boot off USB
reinstall win 10 and see if you can get past the restart stage as all windows has done so far is copy the installer onto the drive, windows isn't actually installed yet.
How do I boot override?

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmmm... sounds like same behavior as a normal boot attempt.

In bios, on Settings menu, under Advanced header,
disable Secure boot
make sure Fastboot is disabled under the Windows OS Config menu in same menu as above
Page 60-61 of manual (shame I can't link a PDF but MSI insist on making you download them, other makers host them on their sites)

it shouldn't just freeze like that

try boot override again