I got another 'Windows' folder on my other drive, is it okay to delete that one?

Louie999

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I've recently got a 2nd hard drive for my PC, but since it had a much bigger space compared to my current (Older) one, I was suggested that the OS be re-installed on that newer drive. But now, I've still got that "Windows" folder lying around in my previous, older drive. So basically, I have two "Windows" folders (Along with two System32/SysWOW64 as well). Just wondering, if I delete that folder (The one from the older drive, of course.), can it damage my PC?
6694e07662ae4653bd2f290c2d373df1.png

Here, Windows 7 is (Obviously) installed in the C drive, so there's a Windows folder there, but my problem is: There's another Windows folder on the F drive where my OS used to be. (Before I got it re-installed on the newer drive). Will it be okay if I delete that 'second' Windows folder sitting on my F drive?

*Also, just for extra information: Both C and D and E drives are partitions of my new drive, the others are from the older one.

Solution
OK...

If there is anything in the F or G partitions that you wish to keep, copy that data over to the D partition.
Once verified that there is absolutely no data on that Disk 1 you wish to keep...

Again, test.
Disconnect that drive
Power up
Does the system boot and run OK?

If so...
Power off
Reconnect the Disk 1
Delete ALL existing partitions on it, leaving one large unallocated space.
Create a single partition using that whole space.
Format and give it a drive letter.

USAFRet

Titan

You really, really should have wiped that drive, instead of installing a new OS alongside the existing one.

Can you show a screencap of where it shows *2* top level folders, both named Windows?
Generally, it cannot do that.

Remove the old drive with the old windows folders. Does your PC run normally? Yes? Then you can delete the folder.

USAFRet

Titan
Although...that F drive size is a bit odd.
50GB?

Can you post a screencap of your Disk Management window?
I'm thinking the F is simply a partition, rather than a physical drive.

Also, in Disk Management, remove the Drive letter E from the System Reserved partition.
That should not have a drive letter.

In the future you may also run across Windows.old after an upgrade. It will be located on your C: drive. That can be deleted if you aren't EVER going to need that old version again.

https://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/ shows you more about Windows.old.

lodders

Admirable
I found that trying to delete just the windows folder is very difficult, because the owner is "trusted installer" and you cannot get permission to delete. There are various ways around it, but the quickest is to FORMAT your old drive, which will completely wipe it...
Make sure you move all your useful files, pictures and other stuff to your new drive first!!!

Louie999

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Here it is:
e4c6daa42b0242f4a1cad2f216409386.png

USAFRet

Titan
OK...

If there is anything in the F or G partitions that you wish to keep, copy that data over to the D partition.
Once verified that there is absolutely no data on that Disk 1 you wish to keep...

Again, test.
Disconnect that drive
Power up
Does the system boot and run OK?

If so...
Power off
Reconnect the Disk 1
Delete ALL existing partitions on it, leaving one large unallocated space.
Create a single partition using that whole space.
Format and give it a drive letter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS