[SOLVED] I got eh, symbols on my screen R9 290X

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Setup:
Asus rog strix b450-f gaming
AMD 3900x
MSI Radeon R9 290x Lightning
2x16 2666mhx cl16 ram
Kingston A2000 m.2 SSD
enermax 650w 80+ pro.

Is my gpu about to die?
Strange symbols (looks like 'manly tools' /the thing in the groin - pointing up to the left fills the lower screen, then upper and lower screen. This happens when the 3 fans on gpu speeds up. Screen goes black, a little empty black window up in left corner, then game screen comes back. Comes and goes until game crash to desktop. Never seen this before, and the gpu worked great couple of days ago in my old rig. DDU done and new drivers, nothing helps.

Happens in Skyrim and Fallout 4 (both modded and unmodded version). Haven't tried other games.

Last edited:
Solution
Those older Radeons are power hungry beasts. They generate a lot of heat as well (when under heavy use).

Over-stressing the PSU over time may have affected it and the GPU. You can try the GPU in another system to see if the problem "moves".

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Not overclocking, no overheating. Same psu from my old rig with this gpu, but yes, new psu is considered.
Maybe I should write that I use the HDMI port?
Can I test gpu with some software?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Those older Radeons are power hungry beasts. They generate a lot of heat as well (when under heavy use).

Over-stressing the PSU over time may have affected it and the GPU. You can try the GPU in another system to see if the problem "moves".

Solution

Kristomani

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
I went into Radeon settings and set the fans to almost full speed.
This solved my problem, for some reason.
I think maybe since the problem came when the fans speeded up, the issue had something to do with sudden power draw to gpu, so yes, the psu probably needs replacing.
Thanks for all help, really appreciate it.
Sorry for my use of bad language earlier, I come from a country with relatively free speech and did not think it trough.

Have a nice day and thanks again 👍
Edit: Silly me! I did not set ut the ram correctly, so after I wnr into AI tweaks and changed eh, something to Dhcp(?), everything seems fine in Fallout 4 at least, gonna try Skyrim, but I am so excited now, so I'm going to play Fo4 until it crashes again 👍😁

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I went into Radeon settings and set the fans to almost full speed.
This solved my problem, for some reason.
I think maybe since the problem came when the fans speeded up, the issue had something to do with sudden power draw to gpu, so yes, the psu probably needs replacing.
Thanks for all help, really appreciate it.
Sorry for my use of bad language earlier, I come from a country with relatively free speech and did not think it trough.

Have a nice day and thanks again 👍
No worries. This site caters to an international audience. We enforce our rules strongly to prevent misunderstandings and conflict.

Good luck!