[SOLVED] I got my first PCIe 3.1 NVMe Drive, what do I do now?

I installed my first NVMe Drive today into my desktop computer (AMD Ryzen R5-1600, 24GB DDR4 2800, ASRock AB350 PRO 4, several HDD's).

I've installed the drive and placed Windows 10 onto the drive. My next question is are there things I need to do to optimize its performance or lifespan? I have the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) 240GB model.

Apparently, it supports AES-256 and other security protocols how do I set that up, or is it automatic?

Any hints or tips you can give me would be useful, I've never had a solid state drive before so I don't know much about them.

Solution
Leave the pagefile on the SSD.

And, given 24GB RAM, you might want to lower the amount of space devoted for that.
I have mine set at 1GB min/max.
I installed my first NVMe Drive today into my desktop computer (AMD Ryzen R5-1600, 24GB DDR4 2800, ASRock AB350 PRO 4, several HDD's).

I've installed the drive and placed Windows 10 onto the drive. My next question is are there things I need to do to optimize its performance or lifespan? I have the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) 240GB model.

Apparently, it supports AES-256 and other security protocols how do I set that up, or is it automatic?

Any hints or tips you can give me would be useful, I've never had a solid state drive before so I don't know much about them.
Nothing special to do, just use it. Security will kick in if and when you use system/disk encryption.

Reactions: JQB45
Automatic.
And I wouldn't bother with BitLocker unless you really really need it. And are very careful

I have Home Premium so no BitLocker. I did notice there are some open source encryption tools, some which are designed to only encrypt one file (or batch of files) at a time.

I don't need encryption now that I think of it.

What should I do with the Windows swap file? Is it ok to leave it pointed at the NVMe drive, or should I redirect it to my old WD Blue 7200RPM HDD.

Leave the pagefile on the SSD.

And, given 24GB RAM, you might want to lower the amount of space devoted for that.
I have mine set at 1GB min/max.

Ok I'll shrink the page file now.

UPDATE: There appears to be no problems after setting the page file to 1024MB min/max.

It takes Windows 10 and BIOS boot about 10 seconds from power on to desktop with fast boot disabled in BIOS.

Last edited: