I got my new hardisk and crystal disk info shows same values in current and worst

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Hello

My old hardisk was dead since i got an smart error and windows prompt as well mentioning , Windows has detected that your hardisk is failing , blah blah

So i have purchased a new hardisk and checked with the crystal disk info and found some values of current and worst appear to be the same , just wanted to know if its normal? Thank you

http://imgur.com/a/9Nh6O - new crystal disk info for the new hdd

P.S: Also can anyone tell me how to recover backup from the previously dead hardisk with that smart error? The pc doesn't even boot properly , like it gets stuck on the windows logo.

Solution
Your current seek and error counts are acceptable for most HDDs. If you're unsure of them, you can always try another SATA cable. If it is unchanged, then check if the HDD is plugged in the correct port. Ideally, plug any hard drive in the SATA0 slot. (SATA v3) This is usually the one with the best available speed.

Just to be exact, your counts are normal. What I explained will probably do no effect on the seek and error counts.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello, your crystal disk reading indicates Good, so you have no reason to worry. The worst readings are there to tell you what it shouldn't be in the raw values.

As for the old hard disk, you can try installing it in your new build on another sata port, or if it's a laptop, buying a USB enclosure for it. If the HDD is still recognized in windows, you can then recover files directly in *Root/Users/username.

Hey there, Vlp3r.

It seems like it has a bit of a high seek and read error count. This could affect the drive's performance. However the sectors seem to be intact. In any case, I'd recommend that you backup any important data which you might have written on it, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run all the tests, to see what's the situation with the drive.
You could also give it a go with a different SATA port and different cables.

As for recovering data from another drive. You could connect it as a secondary storage drive and hope that you can access it via Ubuntu Live USB (this is basically a freeware, bootable, portable version of Linux). If that doesn't help you could try data recovery software: https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893. And last but not least, if all else fails, you could try a professional solution, such as a data recovery company.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

High seek and read error count , can i do something to make it normal? Should i try with different SATA port and cables?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Your current seek and error counts are acceptable for most HDDs. If you're unsure of them, you can always try another SATA cable. If it is unchanged, then check if the HDD is plugged in the correct port. Ideally, plug any hard drive in the SATA0 slot. (SATA v3) This is usually the one with the best available speed.

Just to be exact, your counts are normal. What I explained will probably do no effect on the seek and error counts.

Solution

Well, sometimes it's not unusual, but having in mind it's a new drive, it could really affect its performance e.g. be slower if it has to re-seek very often. Trying a different SATA cable (data) and a different port could prove useful as already suggested, in case one of them is faulty. I'd also recommend that you do the manufacturer's diagnostic tests, just to be on the safe side and keep an eye on the drive's health from time to time.

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

My Sata Port was connected to the SATA06 , now i changed it to SATA02 since i don't have a SATA0 , the current seek rates are

Current 63 , Worst 60 and Threshold 30 , so is this fine now?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Yes, it is still fine. Always use the SATA slot with the lowest number (01, 02).
The seek rate means that you have a seek error in a certain number of seeks. A seek error rate of 60 means you have a seek error in 1 millions seeks. Which is perfectly acceptable. The previous 100 is better though, but the hard drive was possibly too new to have a count.

If your count goes down to 30, then it is defective. Anything from 50 (1/100000) and above is acceptable.

Vlp3r

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Thanks a lot again! I'm going to continue with the 60 now since i have plugged into the lowest SATA02 port now :)