[SOLVED] I got my old GPU back and only the fan works?

Jul 16, 2020
It's actually a long story, I think it was in December 2018 or 2019 when my brother was playing Monster Hunter on Dolphin Emulator, our fan had a problem that sometimes it didn't turned on, so when you booted the PC, you had to give it a little touch and it runned smoothly until you turn it off. One day he was lazy and while playing BOOM, screen glitches everywhere, GPU "died", it was really hot because he didn't touched the fan.

We tested and I remember that the PC didn't wanted to turn on, we gave the GPU to a dude who attempted to fix it, but hell, he returned the cards few days ago, I tought that card was dead years ago, but I plugged the GPU and the PC booted perfectly and the fan also worked, but thats it, I get no feedback of the GPU, isn't listed anywhere and it doesn't mater if I plug VGA or HDMI, it doesn't show anything, I can't see it in the device list, it is fried? (not sure if it's my card, same model but probably another one or with replacecd pieces)

Looks like this one (really old, probably doesn't work anymore)
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-geforce-210-1-gb.b5581
5581-front.jpg

The small white/red battery like thing on the top seems a bit fat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor a dude saw when I got it and said that it was damaged. (he told me to ask him if it didn't worked, but cops arrived last night saying that the virus was near to our street and they said that we should stay locked for a while)

1.png
2.png
3.png

Jul 16, 2020
Did you tried in a different PCE slot on the MoBo, had same ( GT something ) years ago with same issue which got fixed by changing slots.
This is my MoBo, it means Motherboard? (I saw that word in plenty of posts, now I kinda understood)
tarjeta-madre-asrock-h61m-dgs-lga-1155-ddr3-i3-i5-i7-factura-D_NQ_NP_715531-MLV31248425388_062019-F.jpg

tarjeta-madre-asrock-h61m-dgs-socket-1155-2da-y-3era-gen-D_NQ_NP_146405-MLV20855311429_082016-F.jpg

It only has one, or you mean on another one? I hope that one dude comes here tonight, his house is 4 houses away, I could test it there, his PC is "dead" he needs a VGA cable or a GPU with HDMI.

Jul 16, 2020
Did you tried in a different PCE slot on the MoBo, had same ( GT something ) years ago with same issue which got fixed by changing slots.
My friend tested it, no luck, but when he brought it back, my PC didn't even booted (Or that is what I tought)

Yes most likely card is dead, especially if there is a capacitor visibly damaged.
I was reading and I saw that a damaged capacitor could affect a single area (actually, it said that it was just the fan that was affected)

Anyway, I rubbed the pins a lot with some Rubber Eraser, slowly but strong to avoid any posible static, blew it, and finished cleaning it with my fingers (really clean fingers)

I managed to make the card "work" but it probably means that is about to die (totally dead)
glitch.jpg

Again, not sure if it is my exact same card, if it is, then probably just a single piece was blown due to overheat (fan didn't started)

Some piece could cause that glitch? (isn't a driver issue because it looks like that even before booting my OS) both VGA and HDMI looks like that, I didn't tried the sound in HDMI.

There are hopes? or should I take the fan and gift/throw everything else?