I got Nvidia Geforce FX 5950 Ultra 256 AGP What can I goto?

bkieft

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Hey guys I want to upgrade my card and wamt a nice upgrade but don't wanna upgrade my mobo to pci express. What would upgrade my card quite a bit that isn't Crazy expensive? Any advice would be helpful thx

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I Recommand Go For GeForce 7800GS if you have enough money or ATI X850 XT PE , Both of them are expensive but really powerfull , if you Cant afford them go for 6800GS or X800XL (X800GTO,X800GTO 2) ... They are Nice Too !! If You Cant Even Afford Them Next Card Would Be 6600GT !!
But I Think The Best Upgrade Would be 6800GS !! :wink:
Happy Gaming Friend :wink:

ATIisGhostlyblue

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
please do not buy nvidia. they use recylced parts, sometimes they dont even connect litz's correctly. i have actually seen an nvidia graphics card smoke before. would you rather eat at the local steakhouse or from your neighbor's garbage? simply put, ati defines smooth

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
What is more the issue is what ati cards can you find on AGP

top is x850xt (pe), then say a x850, x800xt or a x800gto would all make a nice upgrade for you, may struggle to find some of them though.

Nvidia wise look for a 7800gs as top or a 6800gs as the next best choice.

x850xtpe and 7800gs are almost the same performance wise and are the best you can get on AGP.

I would not dismiss nvidia get the best you can for the best price

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
agreed.

i dont think u really need an upgrade, what cpu do u have? maybe thats holding you back. how much memory do you have? whens the last time you defragged your harddrive? all of these could be slowing perforamnce from where u want it to be... i do know that ur 5950 is faster than my x700pro and im pretty happy with my card, css frames are 100+ on high

bkieft

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I ended up getting the BFG Geforce 7800 GS OC 256 AGP just installed it gonna try a game out. I just plan on keeping my computer for awhile so I wanted a nice one thx for the tips guys

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I honestly don't know what you have against nVidia. It may have just been 1 specific card you have, but that certainly does not justify calling all nVidia cards bad. That's like going into a particular McDonalds that is very dirty, and then saying that all McDonalds are dirty.

I have owned 4 nVidia cards (all for AT LEAST 2 years) and I have never had a single card burn out, short circuit, die, etc.

Anyways bkieft, the 7800GS is a really nice card. It doesn't really live up to the 7-series name, but on AGP, it's really one of the top cards you can get.

IMO $300 is "crazy expensive", I would have recommended a 6600GT or 6800GS (especially since your rig is AGP and will die out soon), but hey, if you're happy, that's good for you.

storpedo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
agreed.

i dont think u really need an upgrade, what cpu do u have? maybe thats holding you back. how much memory do you have? whens the last time you defragged your harddrive? all of these could be slowing perforamnce from where u want it to be... i do know that ur 5950 is faster than my x700pro and im pretty happy with my card, css frames are 100+ on high

Well to be precise, ive read an interview with one of these ppl who create PCs for the mainstream from dell or alienware, or whatever, and defragmenting or having ur registry filled up is not what slows down your computer a bit (something like 1% on the worst-case systems out there).
But on the subject, do get a 7800 GS, but please remember, sooner or later you're gonna have to get a new PCI-e mobo. AGP is in the past, so my best advice is to save up that money for a motherboard and find some more jewlery to sell for a GTX.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
7800gs is overpriced. harddrive being fragmented badly can cause more than a 30% decrease in performance and make load times incredably long, in game fps wont change much if u have a lot of ram (so that the hd doesnt have to page all the time) but a defrag will obviosly speed things up. also if windows is old, like 2 years or so... then perforamnce can drop over 50%, once again fps may not be affected that much but load times will be much longer, a full harddrive will have similar affects. i made those 2 numbers up but i had a hd that was literally almost all red in the defrag window, after i defragged bf2 maps loaded from over 2 minutes to under 45 seconds..

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Since I don't think the original poster ever did clarify what system it was going in, then he may have been fine with the 5950. IMO there wasn't enough information to make a recommendation.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
im still recommending that he just cleans up his comp... unless he has an uber crap cpu then the 5950 will be a very fast card for a while still... maybe paired with 256 memory and an amd xp 1600 it will seem slow, and a n00b would call it the video cards fault... but even with a fast proc and enough ram, that card should be performing better than mine, which is more than 100fps in hl2, which is plenty.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i think the question would be easier to answer by telling us what's your price range. how much is "crazy expensive" to you?
is your budget $100? or $200-300? this makes a difference nowadays as even $50 difference in the card could mean a big difference in performance

**EDIT sorry didnt notice you said you got a card already. ignore this post :oops: :oops:

TRENDING THREADS