I got screwed! Be wary of brick and mortar outlets!

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Well, I got screwed and it's WAY too late to do anything about it.

I know this is a problem with brick and mortar retail stores, as I have experienced it, twice now. I worked at a car audio installation/retail outlet. A customer brought in an open box CD player to install, bought from Wal Mart. Well, I opened it, and the CD player was about 10 years older than the one that was supposed to be in the box. Customer was enraged.

Almost 2 years ago, I bought an XFX 7850 2GB Black Edition from Best Buy. It didn't look like an open box, everything looked good so I installed it. Games played much much better than my older 1GB 9800GT OC, so I thought everything was a-okay. Never checked the ram or system ram usage specs or anything like that, until today. Now I am enraged! Catalyst reports the card as only having 1024mb. DXDiag reports only 728mb usable. And so now it's all starting to make sense as to why I haven't been getting the performance I've expected from it!

I threw away the box along with the receipt a long time ago and it's obviously way too late to do anything about it now, so lesson learned! Be wary of brick and mortar retail stores! What is says on the box is not always what's in the box!

And before anyone asks, I know for a fact that I purchased the 2gb version, as it was what I was in the market for, something with 2gb memory to run GTA4 maxed out. Well, now it's obvious why I couldn't! And I feel like such an idiot for not checking sooner! And now I'm in the market for a new video card, AGAIN. GRRR.

And while I'm here, I may as well ask a question. What would be a good GPU to go with an AMD FX8320?

BustaRhymes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
GTX 970 is prob best for 1080p right now. 6 months from now that could change

r9 280X - r9 290X wouldn't be bad on AMD side either as they have 4GB of VRAM as well.

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Okay, I should probably add that it can't be more than about $200. The more memory the better and I want it to perform at least as good as the 7850.

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I did check GPU-Z. It says 1024mb. 728mb usable is because of Windows 7 Aero. It is 64-bit.

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Yeah, I'm torn between the 280 3gb and the 270x 4gb... the extra memory would be nice for future-proofing but it's the performance of the card itself that worries me. Will the 270x 4gb even play games that use 4gb at max settings at 1080p?

BustaRhymes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
It's hard to say but more stream processors is gonna be better than more vram. 3GB should be fine for a while anyway. I have GTX 780 with 3GB of VRAM and it runs really well.

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't want the extra memory to go to waste if the card can't run the game with maximum textures anyways. But if I run two cards in crossfire, does the memory double or stay the same?

Very few games can touch 4 GB of VRAM. Usually they use less than 2 GB

does the memory double or stay the same?
Its twice the memory but all the data has to be duplicated so it gains nothing