I hate windows.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Its nice and all but recently my computer started getting slower again.

My specs:
Intel core i5 6500 3.2 GHz
16GB of ram 8x8
275GB ssd
1tb HDD
GTX 1060 6gb

I don't know why my desktop is slowing down? It seems to happen all the time and on my previous build also. Right now I have windows on ssd like I usually do but why the slow down then? I also have sandboxie, steam, forza horizon 3, so why the slow down? I barely play games anymore but I don't get it my browser crashes sometimes, it would also freeze on video websites, and I tried google chrome/firefox. Reformatting seems to fix the problem but then it will always return. I do have adblocker but I doubt that is interfering with youtube and such sites where I have to close my browser and reopen just to do things. I wish linux was compatible with most app developers.

Solution
If you are having crashes then the Event Viewer logs may provide some insight via any errors or warnings occuring just before or at the time of the crash.

Try running just one browser or another for some time. Likewise for any other programs. They may be competing for some resource at what may appear to be "random times".

You could reinstall browser(s). Maybe even your video card drivers - video seems to be bit of a constant.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012

Everything is below 34c GPU is 34c but cpu is more like 30c and below. As I have said I don't game that much or any right now but sometimes my games would be slow and force close itself. CPU is an i5 6500 which is skylake I believe. I have ddr4 ram so it must be skylake and 16gb of ram should be more then enough to do basically what I do which is lite work.

Ralston18

Titan
In addition to weberdarren97's suggestion you can also learn more by using Task Manager, Performance Monitor, and Resource Monitor to see what your system doing at any given time.

Look for some process, service, or application that is taking up a large (relative) amount of CPU time, memory, disk activity etc..

Could be some background program trying to do something like "phoning home" or "updating"....

Remove as many programs as possible from startup. Add them back one by one to see if and when slowness returns. Might have to go through that process a couple of times and vary the restart order. Might be some "perfect storm" combination of things causing a conflict. Changing the order may help identify the culprit(s).

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012

according to task manager my cpu usuage is only about 5% right now and my ram is only used 4.5GB. There is not much I can close and like I said I don't install a lot of programs. boot up should be no problem as it still boots fast its just the way like I said some of my apps behave.

Ralston18

Titan
If you are having crashes then the Event Viewer logs may provide some insight via any errors or warnings occuring just before or at the time of the crash.

Try running just one browser or another for some time. Likewise for any other programs. They may be competing for some resource at what may appear to be "random times".

You could reinstall browser(s). Maybe even your video card drivers - video seems to be bit of a constant.

Solution