Question I have 16.0 GB memory, but it shows only 11,8 GB in windows...

Dec 26, 2021
I have problem with my PC, I have 16.0 ram (4x 4gb hyperx. 2133 mhz), memory installed but I do not know why it shows only 11,8 GB. I tried method via msconfig or to set no paging file but it didnt fix this issue... I have GIGABYTE 970a-ds3p motherboard. Can anyone help me? I am really lost here.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the complete specs for your system (make/model of all installed devices)?

The memory is likely running as default/auto in your BIOS and not at the rated speed of the memory. That can be addresses.

Do you know if your motherboard is using the most recent BIOS version available for it?

High hardware reserved memory can be the result of running unsupported memory (that isn't 100% compatible) or running the RAM in an unsupported configuration.
What CPU are you using? What revision of that motherboard are you using? What is the full model number of that memory? Is the memory on the QVL list?

Dec 26, 2021
What are the complete specs for your system (make/model of all installed devices)?

The memory is likely running as default/auto in your BIOS and not at the rated speed of the memory. That can be addresses.

Do you know if your motherboard is using the most recent BIOS version available for it?
I didnt update my BIOS, version is from 2016. If this is the problem then I will try update it. Can I do it with program @bios in windows or I have to do it in normal BIOS? Specs are: AMD fx 8350 8 core, Nvidia geforce GTX 1050, Hyperx 4 x 4 GB DDR3 2133 mhz memory, motherboard is GIGABYTE 970a-ds3p AM3+, Win 10 home 64 bit,

Dec 26, 2021
High hardware reserved memory can be the result of running unsupported memory (that isn't 100% compatible) or running the RAM in an unsupported configuration.
What CPU are you using? What revision of that motherboard are you using? What is the full model number of that memory? Is the memory on the QVL list?
CPU: AMD fx 8350 8 core
Motherboard: 970a-ds3p revision 2.x.
Memory: Hyperx SAVAGE 4x 4 GB DDR3 2133 mhz,

I cannot find this memory in qvl, then it is not compatible or?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
CPU: AMD fx 8350 8 core
Motherboard: 970a-ds3p revision 2.x.
Memory: Hyperx SAVAGE 4x 4 GB DDR3 2133 mhz,

I cannot find this memory in qvl, then it is not compatible or?
The QVL just reflects memory that has been tested, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

What is the exact/full model number for your memory (on label on memory itself) or can be determined with an app like CPU-Z.

Dec 26, 2021
Either update method will work. I prefer to download BIOS updates to USB drive and then do in the BIOS directly.

Please let us know the results.
After the BIOS update I made screenshots from task manager and screenshots from CPU-Z. As you can see that this time my memory is 12,0 usable, not 11,8, so there is a little change, I did that update with @bios program. I went to the BIOS to see date, it is 2016 too, idk if it is good or not but in windows i can see that little change, so I think that it is updated right... Mhz is still 800...

Task manager after bios update
Task manager resource monitor after bios update
CPU-Z memory 1
CPU-Z memory 2
CPU-Z mainboard
CPU-Z CPU

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The memory speed thing is irrelevant to the hardware reserve concern. That can be solved by adjusting memory speed settings in your BIOS. 800 equals DDR3-1600 speeds.

When did you last reset your BIOS (not part of the upgrade process you performed earlier)?

Is all of your memory identical? The exact same model?

Dec 26, 2021
The memory speed thing is irrelevant to the hardware reserve concern. That can be solved by adjusting memory speed settings in your BIOS. 800 equals DDR3-1600 speeds.

When did you last reset your BIOS (not part of the upgrade process you performed earlier)?

Is all of your memory identical? The exact same model?
I think it was the day before yesterday when I removed battery and then plugged it back. Yes they are the same models.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you inspected your CPU for missing/bent/damaged pins?

In your BIOS, have you disabled devices you likely don't need (serial ports, parallel ports, boot ROM on network adapter, etc.)?

Also, is your SATA mode set to AHCI (vice RAID or IDE)?

Dec 26, 2021

In your BIOS, have you disabled devices you likely don't need (serial ports, parallel ports, boot ROM on network adapter, etc.)?

No, I dont want to try inspect pins because I am scared that I will damage something, I am not that experienced with CPU but I think that I dont have it damaged...

In BIOS I have all on defaults, I didnt change anything.

SATA: Onchip SATA controller: Enabled, Onchip SATA type: AHCI, Onchip SATA port 4/5 type: IDE

Dec 26, 2021

I have news. I tried to put back these 2 sticks of memory. I have 16.0 GB, but usable 3,96 GB... I am really lost, it is more low than before....