[SOLVED] i have 16g of ram installed and im only getting to use 7.95g, can someone help me

Solution
There's your problem right there.
You need a matching 16GB kit (2x8GBs) to get your 16GBs. Dual channel memory motherboards need memory installed in pairs (unless you are installing just one stick). Motherboards will rarely work well, if at all, with unmatched RAM. Especially with an odd number of sticks. Please refer to your motherboard manual for the correct way to install memory.

Edit - You 'may' be able to get away with buying another 8GB stick of the exact make and model of the one you already have, but even that is a gamble. Better to pick up a 16GB kit that is on the QVL for your board.
You need a matching 16GB kit (2x8GBs) to get your 16GBs. Dual channel memory motherboards need memory installed in pairs (unless you are installing just one stick). Motherboards will rarely work well, if at all, with unmatched RAM. Especially with an odd number of sticks. Please refer to your motherboard manual for the correct way to install memory.

Edit - You 'may' be able to get away with buying another 8GB stick of the exact make and model of the one you already have, but even that is a gamble. Better to pick up a 16GB kit that is on the QVL for your board.

Last edited:
Reactions: throwawayaccnt
Solution

lewiswilson74

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
You need a matching 16GB kit (2x8GBs) to get your 16GBs. Motherboards will rarely work well, if at all, with unmatched RAM. Especially with an odd number of sticks. Please refer to your motherboard manual for the correct way to install memory.
so if i buy another 8g, will the two 4s still work or will it only pick up the two 8s?

Just the two eights, if you are lucky.
Where you put the memory is also a factor. If you are just dealing with two eights I would put them in slots 2 and 4 (counting away from the CPU). But some motherboards vary. You'll need to check the manual.

Again, it may not work at all unless you get a 16GB kit that is on your board's QVL. Make sure you can return the new 8GB if you go that route.

Edit - Have you tested just the 8GB stick in slot 2 to see if it's even compatible?

lewiswilson74

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Just the two eights, if you are lucky.
Where you put the memory is also a factor. If you are just dealing with two eights I would put them in slots 2 and 4 (counting away from the CPU). But some motherboards vary. You'll need to check the manual.

Again, it may not work at all unless you get a 16GB kit that is on your board's QVL. Make sure you can return the new 8GB if you go that route.

Edit - Have you tested just the 8GB stick in slot 2 to see if it's even compatible?
no i havent ill do that now and ill let you know, also i checked my mobo compatibility and it says this "
  1. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  2. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
does this mean it could run two different ones or not, kinda confused