I have 16GB of ram installed but windows 7 only recognises 8GB?

quantum__g

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Hello,
I have 2 8GB sticks of ram currently installed in my motherboard but when i go into control panel > System and security > system it says "Intalled memory(RAM): 16GB (7.96 useable)." any ideas?

Click Start, type msconfig in the Search, and then click msconfig in the Programs list. In the System Configuration window click Advanced options on the Boot tab. Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK. Restart the computer.

quantum__g

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Hello, thanks for such a quick response!
So I went into msconfig and then looked around and couldn't find a tab named "System configuration" but I went into the "boot" tab and went into the advanced options there. I checked the maximum memory box and restarted my PC and nothing. i went back in when i had logged back on and then checked and unchecked it again and restarted but it still says only 7.96GB usable? any more ideas?

quantum__g

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Hi, thanks for the reply!
I rebooted and checked my bios but it is only saying i have 8192 MB of physical memory. Its only picking up that i have 8GB of RAM? is this because of some kind of limitation or can i fix this?

quantum__g

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

So i swapped them around and it worked!
my BIOS is now saying I have 16384MB of Ram and my system info is now saying i have 16 GB of RAM
Also i was wondering if you could answer one last question? why did this fix it? I like to think im a bit of a computer enthusiast and im always looking to expand my PC knowledge so i would like to know how this fixed my problem?

Dust or imperfect connection with the DIMM slot on first install. This is why we also ask those with video card issues to try and reseat the card by pulling it out and put it back in. Dust, hair, or anything on one of the connectors can cause issues.