Question I have 16gb ram but pc uses 7 at max

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 23, 2018
My pc says I have 16gb ram but when i monitor it, it never goes past 7gb. I have a ryzen 5 2600 so im thinking this is what is making my pc play games poorly. Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Any reason you are still using Windows 7? Extended support ends in 3 months, and 10 is still a free upgrade. Windows 10 is also better at utilizing your available RAM. And to answer your other question, download all drivers on that web page supporting your OS.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For drivers, there's 2 major and 3 not so major and a few oddballs. You'll need audio and Lan for sure, audio especially for games compatability and Lan is the network drivers. You'll also want usb, Sata, pcie as they control all of the motherboard communications with drives, gpu, cpu, ram. Any of the others are a case by case decision as some may not apply, like motherboard software suites etc

Nov 23, 2018
For drivers, there's 2 major and 3 not so major and a few oddballs. You'll need audio and Lan for sure, audio especially for games compatability and Lan is the network drivers. You'll also want usb, Sata, pcie as they control all of the motherboard communications with drives, gpu, cpu, ram. Any of the others are a case by case decision as some may not apply, like motherboard software suites etc
i got an error pop up that said "windows cannot complete the extraction
The destination file could not be created"

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry, but no. The overall purpose of these forums is discussion and help about pc's and electronics in general. To that end, if you come here for help, we will do our best to help you, but the process remains here not only for your benefit, but others who may need the answer too. It would be unkind to bail, and you get help outside of here, because anyone else reading this thread would be clueless as to the answer, even if it was nothing more than an explanation of procedure in how to unpack drivers.

Your results above seem to think it's on the hard drive. Now, those results could be wrong, but that would make a computer feel pretty slow.

Easy way to tell - when you boot the computer, does it just take a few seconds to Windows, or does it take around a minute?

Nov 23, 2018
Your results above seem to think it's on the hard drive. Now, those results could be wrong, but that would make a computer feel pretty slow.

Easy way to tell - when you boot the computer, does it just take a few seconds to Windows, or does it take around a minute?
so you think my bad fps could be that windows is installed on my hdd and not ssd? Windows may not be on my ssd but my games are.

First make sure your important data is backed up. then you have two options:
  1. Clone the OS drive to the SSD, then reinstall your games on the Western Digital.
  2. Disconnect the Western Digitinal and re-install Windows onto the SSD. Then re-install your games on the Western Digital.

Nov 23, 2018
First make sure your important data is backed up. then you have two options:
  1. Clone the OS drive to the SSD, then reinstall your games on the Western Digital.
  2. Disconnect the Western Digitinal and re-install Windows onto the SSD. Then re-install your games on the Western Digital.
but games on the hdd would have slow loading times. Even if i have my games on my hdd or ssd they stutter when loading in

TRENDING THREADS