Question I have 16gb x2 8gb sticks ram installed can I add another 2 sticks of 8gb ram at 2133MHZ

Jul 7, 2019
I have Corsair CMK16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance in my system (MOBO: B450 Tomahawk) but I also have two sticks of Corsair LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2133MHz. Would adding these as well cause any problems?

Do you actually have need for more than 16GB of RAM currently? For things like gaming and the vast majority of applications, 16GB should be plenty for at least the next couple years, if not longer.

If you were to put that slower memory in, it would slow your RAM speeds down to 2133 MHz, which may noticeably hurt your CPU performance, and if you don't actually have some usage scenario that could make use of more than 16GB (like certain video editing tasks), the extra sticks will remain unused, providing no benefit.

As such, it would probably be a better option to sell the slower RAM, and buy more faster RAM once you eventually have need for it.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jul 7, 2019
I know the Ram I have now is plenty for my needs, I was just thinking what to do with spare sticks with them just sat in a draw. It's Interesting to know that the 3000MHz would drop to 2133MHz. I think I'll just list the slower ram on ebay, Thanks.