I have 2, can only use one. Which one,,

philipshari

Honorable
May 12, 2018
Hello! I am fairly new to this forum and again, could use some guidance. I took advice from here 2 weeks ago and upgraded my power supply, now it;s GPU TIME!!
I currently have 2 graphics cards sitting on my desk. I will keep one and the other will go back.
EVGA GEFORCE RTX 2080
AORUS NVIDIA GEFORCE 1080Ti
My system: I7-4790K 4.0 Ghz , 32 gigs mem, 2- half TB SSD, 1 2 TB SATA BLu ray burner & currently running the Nvidia GTX 1060. on Win 7
I'm an old fart..( 64 y/o) primarily into FPS games and FALLOUT76 comes out in a day. Both were about the same price and I had issues installing the 2080. After being successful, Fallout 4 video detection would not identify that card even though the GTX 1060,950,650 all detected properly since Fallout 4's release in 2015 I'm hoping I have solved my issue with that as I am currently back using my 1060.
Does this AORUS card benchmark as well as the Nvidia 1080Ti card in the GPU hierarchy listing? I see some really big retail price difference in some GPUs. Does the performance follow suit?
Thank you for your input and support.
Opinions please.
Philipshari

The 1080ti usually outperforms the 2080 by a tiny bit. That and none of the extra features that the rtx brings are being used anyways. By the time those do catch on we'll be close to the next series and then you'll be stuck with an outdated card that seemingly can't even run raytraced games at 60fps.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
Personally I’d keep the 1080ti and save money versus having the 2080 and new technology because everything we’ve seen has shown that raytracing reduces FPS and until there’s a balance of FPS and raytracing I’ll take the higher FPS.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Ray tracing, possibly yes. But you're also forgetting DLSS which, depending on the game, could garner some real FPS improvements. But again, choosing tech almost 2 years old doesn't make sense if cost is virtually the same.

Again, I must emphasize, keep the 1080 Ti. The RTX cards have memory that overheats and causes the card to fail. Nvidia rushed the launch of the card, with no real support for the cards, no ray tracing in games yet, you are better off keeping the 1080 Ti.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017

Sorry, but this is not entirely true. I've got my 2070's memory overclocked by 1ghz and I've had no failures, no artifacts, no anything. It's running like a champ. I'm also running the core a top boost of almost 2100mhz and it never breaks 55c with a 50% fan level. I think some of the 2080ti cards are having issues, but it's far from an epidemic.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
I would keep the 1080 ti. At the moment there's no real benefit to the RTX cards (except maybe the 2080 ti with its additional performance).

The benchmarks for BF5 with Raytracing enabled hits the performance extremely hard.

Consider moving to Windows 10, it really is much improved over Windows 7, and everything is in more or less the same place so its not a big learning curve.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
As I mentioned earlier, while the 1080ti may be as fast, or faster, in some benchmarks, we haven't seen how DLSS impacts performance yet. If the numbers that nvidia has posted can be believed, some games were upwards of 35-50% additional fps. Even if those numbers they listed are crap, and the actual numbers are around 20%, isn't that enough of a reason to move with the newer tech? I didn't buy my 2070 for ray tracing, I couldn't care less about that, but DLSS, that I am really interested in. Not to mention, this runs far cooler than my 1070ti and overclocks like a beast.

Just my 2 cents.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Exactly, you are buying on a promise, rather than todays performance. If thats what you wish to do then fair enough.

It might run cooler as the model you have must a better cooler on the card, but it actually uses a bit more power and makes more heat than a 1070 ti.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
You're probably right about buying on a promise, I'll admit that. I'd rather be optimistic that they could pull out the DLSS miracle than have it become a reality and have hardware that couldn't take advantage of it. Even if it doesn't materialize, the performance I've gotten with the 2070 overclocked versus my 1070ti has been pretty impressive. I couldn't crack a 7300 timespy score on my 34" ultrawide 1440p with my OC'd 1070ti, but my 2070 with a really massive OC has me breaking 9350 now. I'm sure with some real time spent, I could OC that card even more. Those are just my personal results. I just figured additional info is always good for helping make a decision. He's going to have great gaming regardless =)

My apologies, it does appear to be only a 2080 Ti issue. That being said, technically the 2080 IS weaker than the 1080 Ti, but not my a huge margin. To answer the OP, I still believe the better performance/value at the moment is the 1080 Ti. You should sell back the 2080, then maybe upgrade to a 2080/2080 Ti in the future when the prices fall. This way you won't be paying the premium for the card now, and by then, the kinks should be worked out.