[SOLVED] I have two Windows 10 machines. One acts as a server and the other is the laptop, but the laptop can't see the server anymore ?

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
What I am trying to do is establish my old homegroup. I know this setting went away, but I was able to set it up via network sharing. Well for some reason my laptop can't see my PC that has all my files on it. It was working before, but then it went into offline mode. So I disabled offline and now when I click on my folders that are stored on the other machine, it is asking for credentials.

Frustrated with microsoft. What is the easy work around for this? I do not want to use their cloud.

Solution
First simply provide the credentials so you can at least get to the desired data and copy it to the desired target location(s).

[Note: Use Copy - not Move. If something goes astray the original "copied" file will still be there. A "moved" file can get lost if the process goes astray.]

As always be sure that all data is backed up in some manner and proven to be recoverable and readable.

Then address and reconfigure future sharing requirements.

====

What Windows versions are installed on PC and laptop?

You do not need to use Microsoft's OneDrive ("cloud").

There are other options.

FYI:

https://pureinfotech.com/setup-network-file-sharing-windows-10/

You can easily find other similar tutorials and "how-to's".

Ralston18

Titan
First simply provide the credentials so you can at least get to the desired data and copy it to the desired target location(s).

[Note: Use Copy - not Move. If something goes astray the original "copied" file will still be there. A "moved" file can get lost if the process goes astray.]

As always be sure that all data is backed up in some manner and proven to be recoverable and readable.

====

There are other options.

FYI:

Solution

caliskier

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012

====

There are other options.

FYI:

THANKS!!! That link fixed it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS