I have 4 ethernet ports on my router. Need more!

dude7691

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hello all! This post is not for me but for someone I know. He is a professional and has 4 computers connected directly to the router via ethernet cables. However, there are also cables running through walls to other computers around the house, meaning he needs more ethernet ports to be available to him. In addition, he mentions to me that he wants the computers to "talk" to each other and connect them together so he can back up files automatically using a program called 'second copy'. I have heard of network splitters that apparently do the thing that I need doing. Can anyone recommend a good one and money is not an issue (within reason). I really appreciate your ongoing support and your recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks :)

Solution

I recently bought a couple of these. Changed from 10/100 switches to 10/100/1000. Work as advertised.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008D-1000Mbps-Switching-Capacity/dp/B001EVGIYG

(for those people coming across this 4 years later(2018 and later), that link may lead you to Walmart instead of Amazon)

$25 each.

There are dozens of others.

Plug into the LAN port on the router, then devices off the switchs. No problem.
dude the simple fix is from his cable modem---router----to a switch. if he wants the whole house to stay hard wired. in his home if he has all the ethernet wires going to the same place he can put in a 16 port switch in a small rack then under the rack put in network backup device. one that he can build or buy himself then he can back all of his pc up to the network storage unit,

dude7691

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for your support. I appreciate it very much. Would you mind sending me some links if there are any models of 16 port switches. I will have a look myself as well. Thanks again :)

2nLi10

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
There are plenty of switches available from 5, 8, 16 or more. I have a 5 port switch connected to my router and another 8 port switch upstairs near my computer and 2 printers. Just do a search at Newegg, Tiger Direct or Amazon.

USAFRet

Titan

I recently bought a couple of these. Changed from 10/100 switches to 10/100/1000. Work as advertised.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG1008D-1000Mbps-Switching-Capacity/dp/B001EVGIYG

(for those people coming across this 4 years later(2018 and later), that link may lead you to Walmart instead of Amazon)

$25 each.

There are dozens of others.

Plug into the LAN port on the router, then devices off the switchs. No problem.

Solution