I have 4 ram sticks but MOBO has only 2 slots.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Long story short, for various reasons i have 4 sticks of 4gb of ram but my mobo (Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H) has only 2 slots.
The question is, do i try to sell the ram and buy 2x8Gb sticks or sell the mobo and get a mobo with 4 slots?

Solution
I would just buy new sticks. Replacing the RAM won't make you reinstall Windows, whereas replacing the motherboard you'll have to start fresh.

Though, an argument can be made for a new mobo if you want to use more than 16GB of RAM in the future (like if you like to use memory intensive programs).
I would just buy new sticks. Replacing the RAM won't make you reinstall Windows, whereas replacing the motherboard you'll have to start fresh.

Though, an argument can be made for a new mobo if you want to use more than 16GB of RAM in the future (like if you like to use memory intensive programs).

Solution

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

Reinstall windows huh? That's interesting, i had no idea you had to do that after changing motherboard. Alright, thanks for the heads up.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

Question: does reinstalling windows mean losing all my installed programs? What could i potentially lose after a fresh windows install?

You can copy your various files (documents, mp3s, photos) to an external drive prior to reinstalling Windows, but any programs (applications) will have to be re-installed after Windows is installed. Do you have the product key for Windows? If Windows was pre-installed on a PC you bought from a retail store, you may not be able to reuse the product key (I think it may depend on the version of Windows).